Answered By: Anna Burke Last Updated: Mar 07, 2017 Views: 1978
Moving our European clients from servers in the U.S. to servers in Europe requires any customer with a custom domain for LibGuides, LibAnswers, and/or LibCal to update their DNS records for those custom domains.
This only affects LibGuides, LibAnswers, and LibCal. Other products do not allow for custom domains.
What is a Custom Domain?
Any LibGuides, LibAnswers, or LibCal public side URL that does not end with libguides.com, libanswers.com, or libcal.com. (The admin side is always something.libapps.com/product. Please check the public side - what your patrons see - to see whether or not you have a custom domain.)
Examples of Custom Domains:
Examples of Non-Custom Domains:
Server Migration Information
Server migration starts Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 8pm U.S. EDT.
Time Converter - click "Add another city or time zone" to convert to your location.
CNAME records can be updated / created at any point between now and the server migration on April 9. Targets are currently pointed at our U.S. servers, and will be updated to point to European servers as part of the migration process.
Instructions for IT Staff:
You'll want to do this during a slow time, to minimize the potential impact on your users.
You can make the CNAME changes anytime between now and the server move on April 9, 2017. Please be sure it is in place by then, to avoid service disruption.
- If you have existing CNAME entries on your internal and external name servers and can edit them, do so.
If you are currently on an A record, we strongly suggest you change to CNAME, because it will eliminate the need for further modifications (if the need arises) and you can take advantage of the load balancing capabilities of the servers. If you must remain on an A record, contact us after March 25, 2017 and we will give you the IP address.
If you have existing A records and can edit them to modify both record type and target, do so. Change the record type to CNAME. Target information is below.
If you cannot edit existing CNAMEs or A records, please delete those records and add new CNAME entries on both your internal and external name servers.
If you are deleting A records, make note of the IP address first, just in case your DNS system prevents you from creating the CNAMEs and you need to recreate the A records to avoid down time.
- Point your CNAME entries to our European servers - select the appropriate target based on the product. Do not add your institution's name to this server address. Our server will map your domain name to your site.
- LibGuides: region-eu.libguides.com
- LibAnswers: region-eu.libanswers.com
- LibCal: region-eu.libcal.com
Once your changes have propagated (which could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours), your custom domain name will load your site.
- If you see any error message after you update / add new records, please check your entries for typos.
- If your library staff and users report any issues, please assist them with clearing their local DNS cache. If that still doesn't help, please investigate if there is network-level caching occurring.
- Please contact us if you run into any other issues.