Forwarding email into your queue from another address
To access a queue's Email settings go to Admin > Queues > Edit Queue () icon for the queue > Email tab.
By default, each system with the Email Module is given a something.libanswers.com domain at which to receive email. Any email address on that domain can be used as an input to LibAnswers if it is added to the "Incoming Email" list. When setting up your queue, you can customize what appears before the @ (aka the local-part) in your Receiving Email Address settings.
If you are currently using other email accounts to correspond with patrons, you can actually forward those emails to LibAnswers. That way, patrons can continue to email you at the same email address they always have, but you get the added benefit of managing those questions from within LibAnswers. It's a win-win!
For most common email providers, (like Gmail) this can be done quickly and easily in your email account's settings. Not sure where to find the settings for your particular email provider? Check out their own help documentation or contact your IT staff for assistance. For some other email providers, however, your IT staff may have to set up the forwarding from your desired email address. See Step 2 below for more details.
Before you set up email forwarding in your email account: we strongly recommend that you first add the email addresses you are forwarding from to your queue's list of Forwarded Emails. This is important because LibAnswers will not send any notification emails to the addresses in that list, which avoids ending up in an endless email loop where you forward an email into LibAnswers, LibAnswers sends a notification to that address, your email forwards that notification back into LibAnswers, and so on.
- For each email address that will be forwarding emails to your queue, enter it in the Forwarded Emails field. Separate multiple email addresses by a single space.
- Click the Save button.
- You're then clear to set up email forwarding within your email account's settings.
- For some email systems (like Gmail) this can be done directly in the account settings.
- For other email systems, your IT staff may have to set-up the forwarding from your desired email address to your queue's receiving email address. When in doubt, check with them for more info. :)
You can forward specific email accounts to your queue's receiving email address. For most common email providers, (like Gmail) this can be done quickly and easily in your email account's settings. Not sure where to find the settings for your particular email provider? Check out their own help documentation or contact your IT staff for assistance.
For some other email providers, however, your IT staff may have to set up the forwarding from your desired email address.
Once you have forwarding set up, new emails sent to your local address should begin appearing in your LibAnswers queue. Like other emails, though, keep in mind that they could still be marked as spam -- either by LibAnswers or by your own email provider. If you are not seeing new emails arrive in LibAnswers from your forwarding address, log into that email account and confirm whether or not they are being forwarded successfully.
Can we also send email from our local forwarding address?
Yes! By default, your Receiving Email Address will be listed as the sender for your outgoing messages. However, you can choose to use a custom outgoing email address, instead. With this option, outgoing emails will be sent from our LibAnswers servers displaying an email address from your institution's domain as the sender (rather than your queue's libanswers.com email address). This can help your patrons more easily identify your LibAnswers emails as belonging to your library.
I received a personal email that I want to reply to from within LibAnswers. Can I forward it?
Absolutely! If you receive an email to your personal email address, for example, you can forward it to your queue's email address. When this happens:
- LibAnswers will create a new ticket, just like with any other new email received by your queue's email address.
- If you are forwarding the email from the same email address of your LibAnswers user account, then LibAnswers will list the original sender as the ticket's Asker.
- For example, if your LibAnswers user account is under firstname.lastname@example.org and you are forwarding the email from the address, then the person who sent you the email will be automatically listed as the ticket's Asker (aka patron).
- Otherwise, a ticket will still be created -- you'll just need to manually edit the ticket to change the Asker's name and email address to the original sender.