Groups are the primary way of organizing your FAQs in LibAnswers. Each system has at least one FAQ group (your "Default" group); however, you can add as many groups as you'd like. For example, you can add groups for different departments or services, such as:
- General reference
- Library/admin policies and procedures
- Circulation policies
- ILL policies
- Special collections and archives
- Tech support
Depending on your organization, you could also have dedicated groups for different branch or campus library. Or, if you partner with other departments or organizations, you could have FAQ groups for writing help, tutoring, or career development. Because each group can have its availability settings, you can create both public and internal FAQ groups. This gives you the ability to create internal knowledge bases for your staff, with things such as access codes, passwords, staff directories, internal policies & procedures, etc. Each group also has its own user access settings, too, which gives you full control over who can view and add/edit FAQs, as well as configure a group's settings.
In addition to keeping your FAQs organized, each group also has its own set of customizable webpages. These allow your users to browse, search, and view your FAQs, with the webpages for your Default groups serving as the homepage for your LibAnswers system. Each group contains the following pages:
- Homepage - the landing page for your group (the homepage for your Default group serves as the homepage for your LibAnswers system)
- FAQ Page - the page people see when they click on an individual question
- Search Page - the search results page
Create a new FAQ group
Each LibAnswers system starts out with a default group, which serves as the primary homepage for your LibAnswers system. To add additional groups:
- Go to Admin > FAQ Groups.
- Click on the Add another group button.
- Give the group a name.
- Give your group a friendly URL. This will serve as the web address for your group's pages.
- Friendly URLs can contain letters, numbers, hyphens, and underscores.
- For the best results, we recommend using lowercase letters.
- Select an access level for the group.
- Save your changes.
The new group will be added to your list of FAQ groups. You can then edit the group to customize its settings, user access, pages, and language options.
Manage your groups
- To edit an existing group's settings and pages, click on its Edit Group Settings () icon in the Actions column.
- To permanently delete a group, click on its Delete Group () icon in the Actions column.
- Please note that you cannot delete your default group.
- If the group contains one or more FAQs, you will be prompted to reassign the group's FAQs to another group, or delete the group's FAQs altogether.
- Select the group to which you want to reassign the FAQs, or select "Deleted" to permanently delete them instead.
- Note: this will only give you the option of reassigning all FAQs from one group to another. If you want to distribute the FAQs across multiple groups, however, then you'll need to do that manually before deleting the group.