The Comments section of your public FAQ pages allows patrons to provide feedback or ask questions about an FAQ. This can not only help you fill in any gaps an FAQ might add, but your responses to comments can also help other readers if they had similar follow-up questions.
FAQ owners will be notified each time a comment has been posted to one of their FAQs. New comments are not automatically published, so the general public cannot see them until they are approved by the FAQ's owner, an editor, or admin-level user in that FAQ group, or a system admin.
In addition to leaving comments, another way that patrons can provide feedback on your FAQs is through votes. Each FAQ includes a "Was this helpful?" question with a simple thumbs up and thumbs down voting option.
How comments and votes are posted
When viewing a public FAQ page, the Comments box will display all approved comments. At the bottom of the list is the Add a public comment to this FAQ Entry link, which patrons can click to add their own comment. They will then be prompted to provide a display name (it doesn't have to be their real name), email address (which is never displayed to the public), and the text of their comment.
Once submitted, the patron will receive a confirmation message that their comment was received and is pending approval by a staff member. If it's approved, then it will be added to the list of comments on the FAQ's public page.
If a patron finds an FAQ helpful, then they can click the Yes () icon. Otherwise, they can click the No () icon. These votes are tallied and can be analyzed within your Knowledge Base Explorer, giving you insight on which FAQs may need revisions.
Manage pending comments via the Dashboard
If you have editor or admin access to one or more FAQ groups, you will see the Pending Comments tab appear on your LibAnswers dashboard. This tab will show you (in parentheses) how many comments are currently pending review.
From here you can:
- Use the filters to narrow the total number of comments displayed.
- Click the Edit comment () icon to edit the text, name, email address for the comment.
- Click the Delete this comment () icon to delete a pending comment if it should not be included on an FAQ.
- Click on the link to the FAQ in the Comment column to view the FAQ where the comment was added.
- Click the Approve link to approve the pending comment -- making it visible on the FAQ page where it was added.
Manage all comments via the Knowledge Base Explorer
If you have editor or admin access to one or more FAQ groups, you can view and manage all comments posted to FAQs in those groups via the Knowledge Base Explorer. This will not only indicate which comments are pending approval but will also list all previously approved comments, as well.
- Go to Answers > FAQ Entries.
- On the Knowledge Base Explorer page, click on the Comments tab.
- You can use the filters above the list to narrow it down by ID, FAQ ID, Group, status, and/or the patron's Email Address.
- To view the FAQ associated with a comment, click on its on FAQ Entry link in the Comment column.
- The table will display each pending comment, including its submission date, the name, and email provided by the patron, text of the comment, and status.
- To make changes to a comment (i.e. remove words, fix grammatical mistakes, etc.), click on its edit () icon in the Comment ID column.
- If you do not want to publish a pending comment or want to remove an approved comment, you can click on its trash can () icon in the Comment ID column to permanently delete it. The patron will not be notified.
- To approve a comment and publish it to the FAQ's public page, click on the Approve link in the Status column. The patron will not be notified.
Manage comments while editing an FAQ
If you have editor or admin access to one or more FAQ groups, you can view and manage the comments for any FAQ in those groups while editing the FAQ. You can also add your own comments, as well, if you'd like to respond to patron questions or feedback. Any comments that you add will be immediately approved and appear on the public FAQ page.
- While editing an FAQ, the Comments tab will indicate how many comments have been posted. Click on the tab to view them.
- If a comment has not yet been approved, a red Pending status will appear after the submission date. To approve it and publish it to the FAQ's public page, click on the checkmark () icon. The patron will not be notified.
- To make changes to a comment (i.e. remove words, fix grammatical mistakes, etc.), click on its edit () icon.
- If you do not want to publish a pending comment or want to remove an approved comment, you can click on its trash can () icon to permanently delete it. The patron will not be notified.
- To add your own comment to the FAQ, click on the Add Comment button. This will be automatically approved and appear on the public FAQ page.
View and manage votes
Although Admin users can analyze votes for FAQs in all groups, Regular users can only analyze votes for FAQs in groups to which they're assigned. To get started, go to Answers > FAQ Entries and click on the Votes tab.
Filtering the list of FAQs
Use the filters at the top of the page to narrow down the list of FAQs you want to analyze.
- ID: this allows you to analyze votes for a specific FAQ by its ID number.
- Status: this allows you to narrow the list of FAQs by publication status.
- Group: this allows you to narrow the list of FAQs by group.
- Created & to: use these fields to narrow the list of FAQs by their creation date.
- Owned by: this allows you to narrow the list of FAQs by owner.
- Topic: this allows you to narrow the list of FAQs assigned to one or more topics.
- When filtering by group, this list will show only the topics in that group.
- Keyword: this allows you to narrow the list of FAQs assigned to a specific keyword.
- When filtering by group, this list will show only the keywords in that group.
- To apply your filters, click on the Filter button.
- To reset the list, click on the Clear Filter link.
Viewing and clearing votes
Initially, the list of FAQ entries will be sorted by ID in descending order.
- Use the pagination buttons at the top of the page to browse additional pages of FAQs (20 per page).
- Click on any column heading to sort by that column in ascending order. Click it again to sort by descending order.
- Votes: Yes: this column will show you the total number of Thumbs Up votes for each FAQ.
- Votes: No: this column will show you the total number of Thumbs Down votes for each FAQ.
- Overall Score: this column will show you the net difference between Yes and No votes.
- A positive score means there were more thumbs up than thumbs down.
- A negative score means there were more thumbs down than thumbs up.
- To view an FAQ, click on its link in the Question column.
- To reset the votes for a single FAQ, click on its Reset Votes link in the Action column.
- To reset the votes for the entire list of FAQs, click on the Clear All Votes link at the top of the list.