How to use the Knowledge Base Explorer to search, browse, and export FAQs
The Knowledge Base Explorer provides a simple interface for searching, browsing, and managing your system's FAQs. Admin users can use the Knowledge Base Explorer to manage FAQs in all groups, while Regular users can use it to manage FAQs in the groups to which they're assigned.
Using the Knowledge Base Explorer
To get started, go to Answers > FAQ Entries. Under the FAQ Entries tab, you'll find a list of all FAQs in your assigned groups.
Filtering the list of FAQs
To more easily locate specific FAQs, you can use the filters at the top of the page.
- ID: use this filter if you know the ID number of a specific FAQ entry.
- Full Text: use this field to filter by keywords in an FAQ's question, details, or answer fields.
- When searching for multiple keywords, please note that this filter uses OR logic by default.
- To search for FAQs containing multiple keywords, use AND operators between your keywords.
- You can also use quotation marks to search for exact phrases.
- Internal Note: use this field to filter by keyowrds in an FAQ's internal notes. (You can use the same search operators as the Full Text field.)
- Status: use this field to filter FAQs by their publication status (Unpublished Draft, Published, or Unpublished). Select "All" to include FAQs of any status.
- Group: use this field to filter FAQs to a specific group. You can select any group you have been given access to.
- Created and To: use these date fields to filter FAQs by their creation dates, using the Created field to specify a start date and the To field to specify an end date.
- Owned By: use the field to filter FAQs by their owner. Select "View All" to include FAQs created by any user.
- Topic: use this field to filter FAQs assigned to one or more topics.
- Please note: this filter applies OR logic to multiple topics
- If you have filtered by Group, then the Topic filter will only display topics belonging to that group.
- Keyword: use this field to filter FAQs assigned to a keyword.
- If you have filtered by Group, then the Keyword filter will only display keywords belonging to that group.
- To apply your filters, click the Filter button.
- To reset all fields to default, click the Clear Filter link.
Initially, the list of FAQ entries will be sorted in descending chronological order by the Created date.
- Click on any column heading to sort by that column in ascending order. Click it again to switch to descending order.
- ID: the unique ID number assigned to each FAQ entry.
- Group: the group to which each FAQ is assigned (this will sort alphabetically).
- Question: the text in each FAQ's Question field (this will sort alphabetically).
- Owner: the name of the user who owns each FAQ (this will sort alphabetically by first then last name).
- Created: this is the date and time that each FAQ was created.
- Updated: this is the date and time changes were last saved to each FAQ.
- Status: the current publication status of each FAQ (Unpublished Draft, Unpublished, or Published).
- View: the overall total number of public views that each FAQ has accumulated.
- Use the pagination buttons above and below the table to browse through any additional pages of results (20 per page).
- To quickly filter the list of FAQs by a specific topic, click on that topic's badge in the Question column.
- To quickly filter the list of FAQs by a specific owner, click on their name in the Owner column.
- To view a monthly breakdown of page view stats for an FAQ, click on its Monthly link in the Views column.
Viewing and managing FAQs
The Knowledge Base Explorer provides several options for viewing and managing your FAQ entries.
- To preview an FAQ's public page, click on its eye () icon in the ID column.
- This will open the FAQ in preview mode in a new window.
- While in preview mode, your page view will not count towards the FAQ's statistics.
- To permanently delete an FAQ, click on its trash can () icon in the ID column.
- To prevent accidental deletions, you will be prompted to confirm this before the FAQ is deleted.
- This cannot be undone, so please be careful!
- To quickly change an FAQ's assigned group, topics, keywords, and/or publication status, click on its edit () icon in the ID column.
- This will open the Edit FAQ Details window, allowing you to make changes without leaving the page.
- To edit an FAQ's content and settings, click on its question link in the Question column.
- This will take you away from the Knowledge Base Explorer to the full Edit page for that FAQ.
To export the currently filtered list of FAQ entries, click on the Export FAQ tab.
This will generate and download a CSV file containing the following columns:
- ID: the unique ID number assigned to each FAQ entry.
- Group ID: the unique ID number of the group to which each FAQ is assigned.
- Question: the text in each FAQ's Question field.
- Details: the text in each FAQ's Details field.
- Answer: the text in each FAQ's Answer field.
- Please note that this will include HTML markup.
- These fields can contain a lot of text. For best results while viewing the CSV in Excel, consider resizing and enabling Wrap Text for this column.
- Owned By: the name of the user who owns each FAQ.
- Topics: a semicolon-separated list of each topic assigned to the FAQ.
- Keywords: a comma-separated list of each keyword assigned to the FAQ.
- Status: the current publication status of each FAQ.
- Created On: this is the date and time that each FAQ was created.
- Last Updated: this is the date and time changes were last saved to each FAQ.
- Vote: Yes: this is the total number of thumbs up votes each FAQ has received via its public page.
- Vote: No: this is the total number of thumbs down votes each FAQ has received via its public page.
- Total Views: this is the total number of public page views each FAQ has received.