Merging tickets allows you to consolidate related questions into a single ticket. There are a couple of common scenarios where you may want to merge two or more tickets together.
Someone replied to a ticket, but their reply generated a new ticket.
Normally, when a patron replies to a ticket, the new reply is added to that ticket's thread. However, if the patron's email client does not provide all of the necessary info in the email's header, LibAnswers may not be able to identify which ticket it belongs to. As a result, a new ticket is created.
Instead of replying to this new ticket, you can instead merge it into the original. This can help you maintain the continuity of your conversation with the patron, making it easier to review the ticket's thread from start to finish.
Someone sent in multiple tickets related to the same question/topic
You may find situations where a patron has submitted multiple new tickets, but they all end up relating to the same question or topic. Or, maybe they sent in a brand new ticket with more information about an earlier question, instead of replying to the original ticket. Instead of replying to the new ticket, you can merge them all into a single ticket. This will help you consolidate the patron's correspondence into a single place, making it easier keep track of the conversation.
- Click on the Question Actions () button in the upper-right corner of the ticket's question.
- Select Merge from the dropdown menu.
- Locate the ticket to which you want to merge the current ticket.
- If this user has submitted previous questions, you can select one of those.
- You can also search for a ticket by keywords in the Search for a Ticket field.
- If you know the ticket's ID, enter it into the Type in a Ticket ID field.
- Click on the Merge button.
- A summary of the merge will appear. An internal note will be added to each ticket, which you can customize if desired.
- Select the status you'd like to apply to the original ticket. The new ticket will be closed once the merge is completed.
- Click on the Merge button to complete the merge.