With Reference Analytics you can:
- Track questions asked regardless of user location or library service:
- IM (chat)
- SMS (text message)
- Every other way you provide assistance
- Define the data you want to track: location, patron type, question type, or whatever data is important to your library!
- Use multiple datasets to track everything important in your library! Track one set of data for reference stats, another set for circulation, another set for programming, another for archives, and/or whatever else you want to track!
- Go beyond Tick Sheets and effortlessly analyze your data from many angles.
- Gather valuable data about how questions are answered and tie it to the actual question and answer. Instead of just knowing how many reference questions were answered at the reference desk, know what the questions were, what time of day they were asked, and who asked them. This helps you target/refine other materials and services toward that group of users.
- Gather reference statistics and build your LibAnswers knowledge base simultaneously. Better insight into data and a robust knowledge base leads to better service, a more useful web site, and improved library services!
- Know at a glance what your busiest days/times are for answering questions, where most questions are being asked, how they are asked, etc., and then make more informed staffing decisions.
The base subscription to LibAnswers allows for 5 Analytics datasets. Contact the Sales team to increase your subscription allowance.
Creating a new dataset
- Go to Admin > Ref. Analytics.
- Note: only admin-level accounts can create new datasets.
- Click the Add another dataset button.
- To edit an existing dataset, click on the Edit dataset () icon under the Actions column.
- On the Add a Dataset modal:
- Give your dataset a Name.
- Choose a color for the dataset from the list of examples or add your own hex code.
- Click Save.
Once the new dataset has been created, you can proceed to configuring the dataset.
To manage your existing datasets, go to Admin > Ref. Analytics, where you can:
- Click the Add another dataset button to create a new dataset.
- Click the view link in the # transactions column to go to the View/Edit Transactions page for the dataset.
- Click on the Edit dataset () icon under the Actions column to make changes to the configuration of the dataset.
- Click on the Delete dataset () icon to delete the dataset from the site.
- Click on the Pre-Defined Questions tab to manage the list of pre-defined questions.
Manage pre-defined questions
Pre-defined questions can be set up for your Reference Analytics datasets for your most commonly asked (and recorded) questions. For example, you might create pre-defined questions for printer-related issues, queries about finding a book, directions to a location in the library, and of course, the most common question asked in any library: where the restrooms are located.
To manage the pre-defined questions for a dataset:
- Go to Admin > Ref. Analytics.
- Click the Pre-Defined Questions tab.
- Use the Switch to Dataset dropdown to select the dataset you want to manage, then click the Go button.
- To add a new question, enter the text in an empty Question text field. Or, you can modify the text of any existing question field. (To remove a question, delete its text and leave the field empty.)
- If you run out of available Question fields, click the Add another question button to insert a new one at the end of the list.
- Click the Save button.