In This Article
Create and manage system canned messages for LibChat
If you find yourself answering the same questions over and over, canned messages can help you save time (and keystrokes!). Canned messages are pre-written messages that you can use while chatting. As an admin, you have the ability to create System Canned Messages that can be used by specific departments, or every user in the system. These can help staff answer questions quickly and consistently, especially for answers that often includes URLs, phone numbers, or other info that would take time to look up.
For example, if you often get asked when your library closes today, or when you'll open tomorrow, you can have a canned message ready with your current hours. Instead of having to look up and write out your hours, you would then just need to select the message from a list and send the reply. (Pro tip: you can edit the message before sending it. This is great if you need to customize the message for the patron.)
To create and manage your system canned messages, go to Admin > LibChat Set-up > System Canned Messages.
Adding a new canned message
- Click on the Add Canned Message button.
- Select which Department can use this message, or select "System-Wide" to make it available to all departments.
- Give your canned message a Display Name. This is how the message will be identified during chat, so make it short but informative.
- Add the text of your message in the Canned Message field.
- Save your changes.
Reordering canned messages
As your list of canned messages grows, it may become hard to locate the messages that are used most often while chatting. Fortunately, you can reorder this list to put your most-used messages within easy reach.
- Click on the Reorder Canned Messages button.
- For each department group, drag and drop the messages into the desired order.
- When finished, click the Save New Order button.
Note: this will only change the order of your canned messages while chatting. It does not reorder them on the System Canned Messages page of your LibChat Settings.
Managing canned messages
Each canned message can be managed using the icons in the Action column:
- Click on the Edit () icon to change the message's department, display name, or text.
- Click on the Delete () icon to permanently delete the canned message.