To help co-op librarians answer questions from your institution's patrons, they will be able to search your location's Group Member Policy FAQs. This is a special group that can only be searched by co-op staff, allowing you to share information that shouldn’t be shared with patrons, like login credentials for co-op librarians to access your proprietary databases in order to assist your patrons, special alerts or instructions for co-op librarians, etc.
Although the process of adding and editing FAQs within these groups is the same as any other, there are a few differences to keep in mind:
- Please note that only system-level Admin users and Regular users with the Group Admin permission can add, edit, or delete FAQs in a Group Member Policy FAQ group.
- FAQs in a Group Member Policy FAQ group will not display to the public. They are only searchable by staff from within the LibChat dashboard.
- Because a Group Member Policy FAQ group is not publicly viewable, there are no options for customizing look & feel, pages, or language options. You can only customize the group's name.
- Each location in your shared group system has its own Group Member Policy FAQ group, allowing staff from each to create FAQs unique to them.
Managing a Group Member Policy FAQ group
Each Group Member Policy FAQ group will be listed along with your system's other groups under Admin > FAQ Groups. These groups cannot be deleted but can be renamed if you'd like.
- To easily find these groups, just look for "Group Member Policy FAQ" in the Access Level column of the Manage FAQ Groups page.
- To quickly view all FAQs assigned to the group, click on its # questions link. This will take you to the Knowledge Base Explorer: FAQ Entries page, displaying the group's FAQs.
- To edit the group's name and select a default policy FAQ, click on its edit () icon in the Actions column.
Your group's default policy FAQ is what co-op staff will see initially when chatting with your institution's patrons. When you join the service, a standardized Group Member Policy FAQ will be created for you. To make changes to your Default Policy FAQ, please submit the Content for Default Policy FAQ request form.
Adding FAQs to a Group Member Policy FAQ
Adding FAQs to a Group Member Policy FAQ group is no different than adding FAQs to your other groups: just select your Group Member Policy FAQ group from the Group dropdown. To learn more about creating and publishing FAQs, see our How to create, edit, and manage FAQ entries springboard.
What should I add to my Group Member Policy FAQ group?
The Group Member Policy FAQ should contain any for-librarian-eyes-only information that would be helpful to the co-op librarians assisting your patrons, that you do not want to be shared with patrons or shared in a public FAQ.
Any information that is already in a public FAQ, or could be included in a public FAQ (like loan periods; library card policies; fees; links to your LibGuides, databases, or collections; etc.), does not need to be in the Group Member Policy FAQ group.
Examples of the kind of information appropriate to put in your Group Member Policy FAQ group:
- Proprietary database login information (username and password) for co-op librarians to use in order to assist your patrons.
- Any special instructions or alerts about your library or library collections that the co-op librarians might need to know.
- Common or recurring assignments and associated instructions for librarians.
- Any policy or library information that you don't already have in any public FAQs, or can't be added to public FAQs for privacy reasons.