We've sometimes heard from folks that they'd prefer the Automagic tool be an opt-in item for course navigation vs. the default action of having it automatically listed in the nav of every course. This is definitely an option, as well as modifying other settings, but you have to use the EduAppCenter site to do it. The EduAppCenter was created by Instructure, the folks who created Canvas.
You can also use this option for the Single-Course tool (aka Manual), in order to change the privacy setting or force links to open in a new window, for example.
- Go to the EduAppCenter site.
- If you have an account, log in.
- If you don't have an account, create one & log in.
- Click Admin > Configurations.
- Click Create > From XML Config URL.
- Enter your LibApps Automagic LTI Config URL into the text box that appears at the top.
- Click Import.
- Fill out / modify the options on the form:
- Unique Identifier is required and can be anything you want.
- If you don't want to send the user's name / email address (we don't currently use these fields in our tools), change the Visibility option to Anonymous in the Extension: Course Navigation section.
- Note: you don't need to add the Launch URL here, as it's already listed in the top section of the form.
- If you want to make the navigation item opt-in, go to the Extension: Course Navigation section and check the Disabled by default? checkbox.
- If you want it to open in a new window vs. the same window, check the Open in new tab?checkbox.
- Note: changing the configuration to open in a new tab will not impact the Manual LTI tool's behavior. The Manual tool will always load within the same window.
- Click Save - at the top of the form.
- Copy the XML for your saved configuration.
- Install the LTI tool in Canvas using the "Paste XML" option instead of the "By URL" option.
Frequently asked questions
What data is being passed from our Canvas instance to the app?
This is controlled by the tool consumer (in this case, Canvas) and its configuration. You can find a list of potential parameters on the LTI standards website, but to get a proper list, you need to embed the tool and then record the POST data sent during an LTI launch.
What data is being passed from the app to our Canvas instance (i.e. gradebook integration?)
Data is not passed from the tool back to the consumer (Canvas).
Is the app set to public or private?
To add the tool to a consumer, you need access to the launch URL and secret from your LibApps LTI tool configuration information. This secret is only displayed within the LibApps admin screen and should not be provided to anyone other than your Canvas admins.
Does this app require a developer key for full integration?
We have all of our privacy and security information in our Privacy Statement.