Add, edit, and delete departments in a library
In the Hours module, a library is any location for which you want to display opening hours. Within each library, you can add individual departments for things like Circulation, Reference, or Archives -- basically, any service point within that library. This can be helpful if your service points have different hours from the rest of your library.
How many departments do I need?
Consider adding departments for any service or space in a library that has its own hours. For example:
- Reference, circulation, reserves, or media desks
- ILL or technical services offices
- Computer labs or makerspaces
- Writing or tutoring centers
- Archives or special collections rooms
Adding a new department to a library
- Go to Admin > Hours.
- Under the Libraries tab, scroll down to the library you want to edit and click on its Add Department button.
- In the Add Department window, enter a name for your department in the Department field.
- Click the Save button. This will create your department, then take you to the Edit Library / Department page.
- Once on the Edit Library / Department page, you can configure the optional settings for this department.
- Name: use this field to make changes to the department's name.
- URL: you can provide an optional URL for this department, such as the department's webpage or LibGuide. When a URL has been provided, the department's name will link to it from the various Hours widgets.
- Description/Intro: you can provide an optional description for this department, which will appear when viewing the department's location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Contact Info: you can provide optional contact info for this department, which will appear when viewing the department's location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Background Color: choose which background color to use for this department's hours in the monthly calendar Hours widget. The text color will be white, so be sure to select a background color that provides a good contrast ratio.
- Google Place ID: this optional ID allows you to display an embedded Google Map of your location when viewing its location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Not sure what your library's Place ID is? You can look it up using Google's Place ID Finder.
- Unlike when using latitude and longitude coordinates, your location will be indicated by a marker on the Google Map.
- Map Latitude and Longitude: if you are not using a Google Place ID, these optional coordinates can also be used to display an embedded Google Map of your library's location when viewing its location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Not sure how to find these? Go to Google Maps and look up your location. Then, right click on it and select "What's Here" to view the latitude and longitude for that point.
- Unlike when using a Place ID, your location will not be indicated by a marker on the Google Map. Rather, the map will display centered on your location.
- Click the Save button.
Edit, reorder, and delete departments
- To edit a department's name or other settings, click on its Settings option.
- To delete a department, click on its trash can () icon.
- Please note: you can only delete a department if it does not have any future hours assigned to it.
- You will receive an alert message if you are unable to delete a department. Remove all future date ranges and exceptions from the department, then try again.
- To reorder the list of departments, click on the library's Re-Order Departments button.
- The Re-order Departments window will appear, where you can drag and drop the departments into the order of your choice.
- You'll also find an option to sort all departments by name, as well.