Can a category or space / item have different hours from the rest of its location?
Absolutely! If you have a specific category, space, or item that has different hours than the rest of your location, you can set it up with its own separate hours.
For example, let's say that you have a location that's open from 8am-10pm. But, you might have a category of equipment that can only be booked between 9am-5pm. To accommodate this, you can set up separate opening hours just for that one category.
When setting up hours for specific categories, items, and/or spaces, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- When you enable specific hours for a category, they will override your location's hours & exceptions for all items/spaces in the category.
- When you enable specific hours for a single item or space, they will override the hours & exceptions of its parent category and location.
- If you enable custom hours for a category, item, or space, any date not covered by a date range will appear as closed.
Head to Admin > Equipment & Spaces > Manage Locations. If you don't see the Admin menu, you are not an Admin level user in your system.
Enable hours for a category, item or space
- Under Specific Category and Item/Space Hours:
- Click the Add Hours for Category button to enable hours for a specific category.
- Click the Add Hours for Item/Space button to enable hours for a specific item or space.
- Select the category, item, or space you want to add.
- Click the Save button.
Disabling hours for a category, item, or space
If you no longer want to use separate hours for a specific category, item, or space:
- Click on the Close () icon for that category, space, or item.
- If this is a category, it will inherit the hours of its parent location.
- If this is a space or item, it will inherit the hours of its parent category.
Link to LibCal Opening Hours
If your category, item, or space has the same operating hours as one of the libraries or departments in your LibCal Hours module, you can link to those hours instead of recreating them separately for your equipment or spaces.
- Click on the Linked to LibCal Opening Hours radio button.
- From the dropdown menu, select the library or department you want to link to.
- NOTE: make sure that the library or department you select is not using the Custom Text or By Appointment options for its hours, as these are not supported in Equipment & Spaces. If it is, then you will need to Custom Hours instead.
- Click on the Save Changes button.
Using custom hours
If your library hours from the Hours Module don't coincide with the times that patrons can book spaces and equipment, you can define custom hours instead.
- Click on the Custom Hours radio button.
- Under Opening Hours, click on + Add Date Range to add as many date ranges as needed for your category, item, or space. Any date not covered by a date range will appear as closed -- even if the parent category/location is open.
- Under Exceptions, click on + Add Exception to add any exceptions to your opening hours. Remember that exceptions from the parent category/location will not be inherited, so you will need to set them up separately.