To add and manage a location's spaces:
- Go to Admin > Spaces & Equipment.
- Under the Locations tab, find the location containing the category you want to move and click on its link in the Spaces column.
Adding spaces to a category
Spaces are the physical, bookable rooms that belong to your category. So, if you have a category called "Study Rooms", you would need to add an item for each individual study room that's available for booking.
To add a new space from scratch
- Select Add New Space from the cog () button in the category's heading for the category where you want to add a space.
- Alternatively, click the Add New Space button that displays above the location's categories.
- Or use the Add New Space button on the Zones tab.
- Set the Space Name (e.g. "Study Room 110").
- Optionally, assign the space to a Zone.
- Verify that the correct Category for this space is selected. Once a space has been created, you cannot change its category later.
- Note: when adding a new space via either Add New Space button (above the categories on the Spaces & Categories tab or on the Zones tab), you will need to select the category here.
- Click the Save & Continue button. This will take you to the Edit Space page so you can configure the details for your new room. See the next sections for information about each option.
Pro tip: Do you have flexible spaces that can be divided?
If you have a space that can be divided, such that each part can be booked separately or all parts can be booked together, simply create one space for each part of the room.
For example, if you have a room that can be divided in half, create one space for Half A and another space for Half B.
- If a user only wants to book Half A, they can do that while leaving Half B available (or vice versa).
- If a user wants to book both halves together:
- If Half A and Half B are both available at the needed times, then the user simply needs to add both spaces to their booking request.
- If either Half A or Half B is in use at the time they need, the availability grid on the public booking page will indicate this -- allowing them to see the next available times where both halves are available to be booked together.
Copying an existing space
If you have several very similar spaces, each with the same capacity, description, etc., you can save time by copying one of the existing spaces. For example, let's say you have group study spaces, all with the same capacity, furnishings, terms & conditions, etc. Instead of having to re-enter the same information for each space, you can just add one and then create multiple copies of it.
- Select Add Copy Of Space from the cog () button in the category's heading for the category where you want to add a copied space.
- Select the space you want to copy from the Space to Copy dropdown.
- Customize the name of the new space.
- Optionally, modify the description.
- Click the Create Copy button.
- Name: this is the name of your space.
- Location: this is the location where you space belongs. Once you create a space, the location cannot be changed.
- Zone: this is the zone that your space has been assigned to (if it has been assigned to a zone). If you want to change or assign the space to a new zone, select it from the dropdown.
- Category: this is the category where your space belongs. If you want to move the space to a new category, select it from the dropdown.
- Type Of Space: when your site has the Seat Bookings module enabled, you can choose between the following types for your space:
- Bookable as a whole: allows the entire space to be booked. This is the only option for sites that do not have Seats enabled.
- Container space with seats: allows for only the seats that have been set up within the space to be booked. When this option is selected, the space will be hidden from public booking pages -- displaying the seats within the space instead.
- Note: an entire 'container' space can be booked via the Spaces > Booking Grid page, but cannot be booked from a public page.
- Accessible: select this checkbox if the space is accessible. When selected, the space will be included in the list of available spaces when the patron requires an accessible space/seat.
- Is Child/Partial Space: if you have a large space that can be divided into sections, that can then be booked separately or together as needed, you can link these smaller spaces (the child/partial spaces) to the larger parent space. If this new space is a child/partial space, select "Yes".
- Learn more about partial/child spaces.
- Parent Space: if you selected "Yes" for Is Child/Partial Space, select the parent space to which this child/partial space belongs.
- Friendly URL: if you have added a friendly URL to your category's booking page, you can also create one just for this space. This will allow you to easily link directly to the public booking page showing only the information and availability times for this space.
- Each URL must be unique and can contain only letters, numbers, hyphens, and underscores.
- Friendly URLs are case sensitive, so we recommend using lowercase letters for the best results.
- The slug that you enter here will be appended after the slug for your space category.
- Current Capacity: this allows you to indicate the capacity that the space can accommodate currently. This will appear on the public space booking pages and be used for filtering purposes there.
- Maximum Capacity: this allows you to indicate the maximum capacity for this space. This is used to help calculate the occupancy totals on the Spaces > Utilization page.
- Directions: this allows you to provide directions for helping patrons locate the space. This will appear on the public space booking page when someone views additional information about the room.
- Booking Form: if you have a custom booking form you'd like to use for this space you can select it here. The questions from the selected form will be combined with those of your location and category's booking forms.
- LibAuth Group Rule: if you have enabled LibAuth in your location's settings and your authentication method supports group permissions (such as CAS or SAML), you can select a group permission to apply to this space. For example, this could be used to restrict bookings for this space to faculty and staff.
- Image URL: this allows you to upload and display an image of the space, which will display on the public space bookings page when someone views more information about the space. Click on the Show Image Manager button to upload or select an image from your Image Manager library.
Note: the recommended dimensions are 150px by 150px so that the images display optimally in the space allotted.
- Description: this allows you to provide a description of the room, such as any technologies or other amenities available. This will display on the public space bookings page when someone views more information about the space.
- Terms & Conditions: if this space has its own terms & conditions which are different from your location or category's, you can add them here. When you add terms & conditions to a category, they will be displayed in addition to your location and category's terms & conditions.
When the Seat Booking module is enabled for your site (this module is available as an add-on to your LibCal subscription) and the space you are editing is set to the Container space with seats type you can configure and manage the seats for the space.
For more information on configuring seats, see the Setting up and customizing seat bookings Springboard.
- Status: this allows you to set the room's availability.
- Active: this means the room will appear as available to the public and is able to be booked.
- Inactive: this means the room will not appear as available to the public and is unable to be booked.
Managing a category's spaces
- Click on the Edit () icon to edit a space's settings.
- Click on the View Public Page () icon to open the space's public page in a new window.
- NOTE: this will be disabled for a space that is set to the Container space with seats type.
- Click on the Delete () icon to delete a space.
- NOTE: this will delete all bookings and stats related to this space.