When patrons schedule an appointment with you, they will need to fill out a form. By default, the form will ask the user to enter their name and email address. However, you can customize the form to add additional questions, up to 10 total. For example, you could use this to gather information about the type of patron requesting the appointment (e.g. undergraduate, etc.), or the purpose of the appointment (e.g. starting a research project, genealogy, etc.).
You can customize your personal appointment booking form by going to Appointments > My Settings.
Create a new form
- In the Forms panel, click the Add New Form button.
- In the Form Name field, enter a name to describe your new form.
- Click the Save & Continue button. This will take you to the Modify Booking Form page, where you add custom form fields.
Add booking form fields
Every booking form has required name and email address fields. Although these cannot be removed, you can add fields to the booking form to request additional information from patrons. The types of fields you can add are:
- Radio buttons: multiple choice field where a single option can be selected from a list of buttons.
- Checkboxes: multiple choice field where one or more options can be selected from a group of checkboxes.
- Dropdown: multiple choice field where a single option can be selected from a dropdown menu.
- Single-line text: a one-line text input field, best suited for collecting short text responses.
- Multi-line text: a text area field that is best suited for collecting long text responses.
To add a field to your booking form:
- Click the Add New Question button. This will open the Add New Question modal window.
- In the Text field, enter a label for the field (i.e. the question you want to ask).
- From the Type dropdown, select the type of field you want to add (see the list above for an overview).
- For the Required option, you can choose to make the question required or optional. When set to required, users will have to respond to it in order to submit your form.
- If you selected one of the multiple choice field types:
- Click the Add Answer Selection button to add an answer option.
- In its Answer text field, enter the text label for that option.
- If you need to remove an option from the list, click its trash can () icon.
- When finished configuring your new field, click on the Save button to add it to your form.
Edit or delete custom fields
In the Questions panel, you can:
- Edit a question's text or answer options by clicking its Edit () icon.
- Delete a question by clicking its Delete () icon. You will be prompted to confirm before its actually deleted.
- This will permanently remove the field from your form.
- It will not appear in future form submissions, but responses to the field will still appear in your past submission data.
Reorder your custom fields
To change the ordering of your custom fields:
- Click the Reorder Questions button. This will open the Reorder Booking Form Questions modal window.
- This button will only appear if you have two or more custom questions.
- In the list of question fields, click, drag, and drop fields into your desired order.
- Although the Full Name and Email fields are display, please note that they cannot be reordered.
- When you're finished, click the Save button to update your form.
The Form Preview panel provides a real-time look at your form, exactly as it will display to patrons. This can help you fine tune your form's layout to your liking.
Edit a form
Admin users can edit or delete any form in your LibCal system. However, if you are a Regular user, please note that you can only edit or delete forms that you've created.
- Under the Booking Forms tab, you can edit a form by clicking its Edit () icon in the Forms panel.
- This will take you to the Modify Booking Form page, where you can add, edit, or remove question fields.
- While there, you can rename your form by clicking on the Edit () icon next to the form's name.
Delete a form
- To permanently delete a form and its questions, click on its Delete () icon under the Booking Forms tab.
- You will be prompted to confirm before the form is actually deleted.
- When deleting a form, past booking submissions will retain their responses to the form's questions.
Booking Form Settings
Admin users can apply a default booking form to any location, group, or category. If you belong to one, then its default form will be used for appointments made with you there.
You can, however, override these defaults if you'd prefer to use a different form (such as one you created). You can even select one form to use for all of your bookings, if you'd like.
To determine which booking form to display to users, LibCal looks in this order:
- Does that location have a default form? If so, use that unless...
- That group has has a default form. Use that unless...
- That category has a default form. Use that unless...
- The user (you) has selected a default form for all of your bookings. Use that unless...
- The user (you) has selected a default form to use for that specific location. Use that unless...
- The user (you) has selected a default form to use for that specific group. Use that unless...
- The user (you) has selected a default form to use for that specific category.
As you can see, your personal settings override the defaults that Admins have set for individual locations, groups, and categories.
Setting your own default forms is entirely optional: if you don't select any, then LibCal will defer to the location, group, and category defaults in the order listed above. If none are set, then users will only need to submit the default Full Name and Email fields to make an appointment.
Set a default booking form
If you would like to set a default form to use for appointments scheduled with you:
- In the Booking Form Settings panel, click the Override my Booking Form for... button.
- From the dropdown that appears, choose the type of override you want to add:
- All bookings (user default): choose this option to set a default form for all bookings made with you. This will override location, group, and category defaults set by your Admin.
- Bookings at a specific location: choose this option to set a default form for bookings made with you in a single location. This will override location, group, and category defaults set by your Admin, as well as your All bookings (user default) selection.
- Bookings at a specific group: choose this option to set a default form for bookings made with you in a single group. This will override location, group, and category defaults set by your Admin, as well as your All bookings (user default) and Bookings at a specific location selections.
- Bookings at a specific category: choose this option to set a default form for bookings made with you in a single category. This will override location, group, and category defaults set by your Admin, as well as your All bookings (user default), Bookings at a specific location, and Bookings at a specific group selections.
- In the modal window that appears, select the form you'd like to use from the Booking Form dropdown.
- A list of the form's fields will display in the Booking Form Summary area.
- Click the Save button to apply the override.
Edit or delete an override
- To edit the form an override is using, click on its Edit () icon.
- To delete an override, click on its Delete () icon.
- This will only remove the override from your appointments. It will not delete the form being used.
Appointment Form File Uploads
In addition to adding additional questions to your appointment form, you can also allow patrons to upload files with their submissions. This can be helpful, for example, if a patron needs help reviewing a research paper.
- Click on the My Settings tab.
- In the Appointment Form File Uploads panel, toggle the File Uploads option to enable or disable this field.
- File uploads disabled: when this option is selected, no file upload field will appear on your appointment form.
- Allow patrons to upload files along with their appointment booking: when this option is selected, users will see a field on your appointment form where they can either select or drag and drop a file to attach to their submission.
- In the Help Text text box, you can optionally customize the help text that appears inside the file upload area on your form. For simple changes, replace the text inside of the existing
<span></span>tags (shown highlighted in the screenshot).
- To revert back to the default text, click on the Restore Default Help Text.
- Click the Save button.