Sync your Appointments scheduler with your Outlook or Exchange calendar
Syncing your Appointments schedule with your Outlook or Exchange calendar is an easy way to prevent double-booking yourself! Whenever someone books an appointment with you, or you add a new appointment yourself, that event will be added automatically to Outlook. If you use Outlook as your primary calendar app, this make sure you're always on time for your next appointment. :)
You also have the option of having LibCal check your Outlook calendar for your free and busy times. This helps prevent patrons from scheduling appointments with you whenever there's an event already on your calendar, such as a meeting or reference desk shift.
- NOTE: in order for LibCal to check your free/busy times, you must first add availability times to your My Scheduler. LibCal will then check those availability times against your Outlook calendar to see if there are any conflicts.
- If you happen to be busy during one of your availability times, it will be marked as unavailable on your Appointments schedule, preventing an appointment from being scheduled during that time.
To manage your Outlook/Exchange calendar sync settings, go to Appointments > Integrations.
Step 1. Connect your Outlook calendar
- In the Outlook/Exchange Settings panel, enter the domain name for your Outlook/Exchange server in the Server/Host field.
- Not sure what it is? Check with your IT staff for the correct domain name.
- If you use Office 365, your server address will be: outlook.office365.com
- In the User Name field, enter your Exchange user name.
- This is usually an email address or your Active Directory login e.g. Staff\PSmith.
- If you use Office 365, enter your email address as your user name.
- In the Password field, enter your Exchange password (i.e. the one you use to check your email).
- In the Email field, enter your Exchange email address.
- If you would like LibCal to check your Outlook calendar to see when you're free and busy, select the Check Free/Busy times checkbox.
- Click the Save button.
Why can't LibCal connect to my Outlook calendar?
If you receive an error message when trying to connect to your Outlook calendar, please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Confirm with your IT staff that you are using the correct server address. For Office 365 users, please use outlook.office365.com.
- Try various permutations of your Username. Sometime they take the form of OU\username, such as Staff\rnf19. (Not sure about this? Check with your IT staff.)
- Using Office 365? Then your username should be your email address.
- Double-check that your password is correct. Please also re-enter your password each time you try a different configuration.
- To confirm the connection settings, you can use Microsoft's Remote Connectivity Analyzer.
- Under the "Microsoft Exchange Web Services Connectivity Tests" heading, choose the "Synchronization, Notification, Availability, and Automatic Replies" and follow the prompts.
- Once it finishes, click the 'Save as HTML' option and send it to us in a support ticket so we can take a further look.
- If the Connectivity Analyzer has trouble connecting as well, then it means the ability to connect or the functionality that we require from Exchange is not enabled.
Step 2. Import your existing appointments to your Outlook calendar
Once you've connected your account, you have the option of importing any of your existing appointments to your Outlook calendar. Here's how:
- Click the Test & Verify Connection button.
- If the test was not successful, an error message will display that may indicate the problem.
- Make sure all four pieces of information you provided in the Outlook/Exchange Calendar Sync settings are correct and do not contain any spaces.
- If the test is successful AND there are events in the LibCal Calendar that you want to put into your Outlook calendar, click the Run Initial Import button to import the appointments to your Outlook calendar
- If the initial import resulted in an error, please click the support tab in your system and we'll take a look.
No existing appointments? No problem!
Click the Test Connection button. If the test is successful, appointments that you create subsequently in your LibCal Calendar will appear in just a few seconds in your Outlook calendar.
Disconnecting your Outlook calendar
If you no longer want to sync My Scheduler appointments to your Outlook calendar, you can disconnect your Outlook/Exchange Account. Just click on the Disconnect button.
When you disconnect your Outlook calendar from LibCal, this will not remove any of the imported appointments from your Outlook calendar. You would need to manually delete those.
What is "Exchange"?
Exchange is Microsoft's email server product. If you use Outlook as your email client, your organization likely uses Exchange.
My initial import failed! What do I do?
Click the black "Support" tab in your LibCal site and let us know what happened. Please indicate whether this was a test or if there were "real" appointments that should have been imported. Include any error messages that you saw.
If I add a meeting in Outlook, will it show up in LibCal?
No, but you can choose to have your Outlook free/busy information apply to My Scheduler.
Can I at least show my appointments in Outlook? Having to maintain two personal calendars is a pain.
Yes! This is exactly what the Outlook/Exchange sync was designed to do. :)
What appointment information is included in Outlook?
You'll see the patron's name, email address, appointment time, and booking form responses.
What versions of Exchange does this work with?
Exchange 2010 and higher.
What versions of Outlook does this work with?
Outlook 2010 and higher.
So this works with Office 365?
Yep! Just put in outlook.office365.com as the mail server. Your username should be your email address.
How do I find my Exchange server address?
Try the suggestions here. If nothing works, please ask your IT department or staff.
Why don't my "all day" events block out My Scheduler availability?
By default, time for "all day" events is marked as "available." When setting these up, click "busy" to have that time removed from your My Scheduler availability. Here's a screenshot: