Springshare provides an option to regularly scrub personally identifiable patron information from your LibCal data. You can choose to clear names, email addresses and booking/registration form responses from any or all of the following:
- Calendar event registrations
- Space & seat bookings
- Equipment bookings
- Please note that bookings that are currently checked out are not scrubbed.
- This is to ensure that you are able to keep track of who has equipment checked out or overdue.
How does this work?
To set this up for your LibCal system, please ask one of your LibCal admins to submit the Privacy Scrub Request form and let us know the following:
- Your LibCal Site URL or Site ID (so we make sure we're applying this service to the correct site)
- How many months or years of data do you want to keep?
- You can choose between 21 days (3 weeks) and 5 years of data to retain.
- When the privacy scrub runs, records older than this amount of time will be scrubbed.
- This is applied on a rolling basis -- for example, if you select 21 days, then data will be retained 21 days from the time the privacy scrub runs.
- What do you want to clear? You can choose any or all of the following:
- First and last names
- Email addresses
- If you have LibAuth enabled, this also clears any account information returned by LibAuth to LibCal.
- Registration form responses (i.e. event registration forms or space/equipment booking form questions).
- Which modules of LibCal do you want to scrub this data from? You can choose any or all of the following:
- Event registrations (this includes the wait list and cancelled lists for your events)
- Space & seat bookings
- Equipment bookings (checked out bookings are not scrubbed)
You can contact us at any time if you need to change any of the above preferences.
What happens when the privacy scrub runs?
The privacy scrub runs weekly on Sundays. Once it runs on your site, please keep in mind the following:
- Registrations, appointments, and bookings will still exist and contain the data that was not scrubbed (such as dates and times).
- As a result, you will still be able to analyze that historical data in your statistics.
- However, when searching that data (such as with the Event Explorer), just remember that you will no longer be able to search it by the scrubbed fields.
- Instead, the data in the scrubbed fields will be replaced with a hashed value (in layman's terms: gibberish).
- Once data has been scrubbed, it cannot be restored.