If you charge patrons for events, space bookings, or equipment bookings, you can use LibCal's billing functionality to allow them to quickly, easily, and securely pay online during the registration or booking process. By connecting to a third-party payment processor, you will be able to collect credit card payments and deposit them into your library's merchant account.
You can also use LibCal to record in-person payments, as well. That way, if your library does not accept credit card payments or a patron cannot pay by credit card, you can still keep track of which patrons have paid in person by cash, check, etc.
All charges, payments, and refunds are tracked automatically in LibCal so you can easily see the payment history for all billed bookings and event registrations.
Before you can begin collecting credit card payments, you must first sign up for a merchant account with one of the supported third-party payment processors listed below.
|Service||Supported Payment Methods||Accepted Credit Cards|
|Authorize.net||Credit card||Most major credit and debit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and JCB (more details).|
|Braintree Direct||Credit card||Most major credit and debit cards, including Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, JCB, Diners Club, Maestro, and UnionPay (may vary by country).|
|Stripe Payments||Credit card||All major debit and credit cards from customers in every country, including Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, JCB, Diners Club, and UnionPay (more details).|
Important: Each payment processor (i.e. Stripe or Braintree) charges different transaction fees for things like handling payments and issuing refunds. These fees are part of the merchant agreement each library will have to agree to with their chosen payment processor. Please note that:
- Springshare does not collect any fees. Inquiries about charges, refunds, and transaction fees should be directed to your payment processor, accordingly.
- Springshare has no direct contact with credit card information during the payment process. All of the actual payment information passes directly from the payment page to the payment processor.
- Only one payment processor can be used to collect payments at a time. Once you start collecting payments, your settings will be locked in and you will not be able to switch between payment processors. Please contact the Springy Support team if you need to change these settings.
Can we also collect in-person payments (i.e. cash or check)?
Yes! If a patron is unable to pay online by credit card , each event registration and space booking transaction in LibCal will also allow you to note that an in-person payment was made. Simply click on the booking's Accept In-Person Payment () action icon to record the payment. These transactions will not be recorded by your payment processor, but will still be listed as "Paid" under Admin > Billing > Charges.
You can collect in-person payments even without connecting LibCal to a payment processor. Patrons will not see a "Pay via credit card" button on the registration or booking confirmation pages, but staff will still see the "Accept In-Person Payment" option.
Once you've signed up with a supported payment processor, you must connect your merchant account to LibCal in order to start receiving payments. This will require entering the unique API keys assigned to your merchant account. Follow the steps below to get started.
- Go to Admin > Billing.
- Click on the Settings tab and enter the required information for your chosen payment processor.
- If you are using Stripe: in the Stripe Payments box, enter your Secret Key and Publishable Key, then click the Save button. (Learn how to find these in your Stripe Dashboard.)
- If you are using Braintree: in the Braintree Payments box, enter your Private Key, Public Key, and Merchant ID for your production environment, then click the Save button. (Learn how to find these in your Braintree Control Panel.)
- If you are using Authorize.net: in the Authorize.net Payments box, enter API Login ID, Transaction Key, and Public Client Key, then click the Save button.
Remember: you can only configure LibCal to use one payment processor at a time.
- After saving your keys for a payment processor, the settings for the other payment processors will be removed from the Settings page. To restore them, simply delete the current keys, save, and refresh the page.
- Once you've started collecting payments with a payment processor, those payment settings will be locked in. Please contact the Springy Support team if you need to change these settings.
Before you begin collecting payments it's very important that you select your local currency. This will ensure that the correct currency is used for all transactions with your payment processor.
- Go to Admin > Billing.
- Click on the Settings tab.
- In the Settings box, select your local currency from the Currency dropdown. Currently, the following currencies are supported:
- US Dollar
- Pound Sterling
- Canadian Dollar
- Australian Dollar
- Click the Save button.
Setting up billing for events and space bookings
- Setting up billing charges for space bookings
Learn how to set up billing charges for individual spaces or entire categories.
- Setting up billing charges for a calendar event
Learn how to add a registration fee to an event and display cost & payment details in email notifications.
- Setting up billing charges for equipment bookings
Learn how to set up billing for individual items or entire categories.