How to create and manage billing discount codes
Discount codes allow you to provide users with free or reduced price bookings and event registrations. When you provide a user with a code, they can enter it when paying online via credit card. Once applied, the discount (which can be either a percentage or fixed dollar amount) will be automatically deducted from the total charges and the user will be charged the remaining balance. If the discount covers the entire cost, then the user will not be charged.
Only Admin users can create and manage discount codes. To get started, go to Admin > Billing and click on the Coupons/Discount Codes tab.
- Under the Coupons/Discount Codes tab, click on the Add New Discount button.
- In the Discount Name field, enter a descriptive name for your discount. This is only displayed internally and can help you remember what the discount is for.
- In the Discount Code field, either the code users must enter to receive this discount. Or, click the Generate button to have one randomly generated for you.
- If creating your own code, please only enter letters and numbers. No spaces, punctuation, or special characters will be accepted.
- Enter either a percentage discount or an absolute discount that will be applied when users enter this code (these cannot be combined).
- Percentage discount: enter a value between 1 and 100, to be taken as a percentage of the user's billing charge. For example, a percentage discount of 100% would make a booking free regardless of the total amount of charges.
- Absolute discount: enter a specific amount to deduct from a user's billing charge (up to 2 decimal places). For example, an absolute discount of 5 would deduct $5 from a user's total charges.
- If that amount is greater than a user's total charges, then the booking would be free.
- Otherwise, the user will be charged the remaining amount to their credit card.
- In the Time Range options, you can choose to make your discount available starting and/or ending on specific dates & times.
- Start Date and Start Time: your discount code will not be active until the date and time you select here. Leave the date blank to make your code available immediately (the default).
- End Date and End Time: your discount code will expire on the date and time you select here. Leave these blank to make your code available indefinitely (the default).
- In the Scope options, you can choose the types of charges to which this code and be applied.
- Select the All Charges checkbox to allow users to apply this to all events, space bookings, and equipment bookings (the default). Otherwise, you will be able to choose which events and and bookings are eligible for this discount.
- Apply to Events: when All Charges is disabled, you can choose from the following options:
- No events: this discount code cannot be used for any event charges.
- All events in system: this discount code can be used for any event charges.
- All events of a particular calendar: this discount code can only be used for events on the calendar you select.
- A particular event: this discount code can only be used for the event you select. You will be able to search for an event by calendar and event title.
- Apply to Equipment/Spaces: when All Charges is disabled, you can choose from the following options:
- No equipment/space bookings: this discount code cannot be used for any equipment & space booking charges.
- All equipment/space bookings in the system: this discount code can be used for any booking charges.
- All equipment/spaces in a particular location: this discount code can only be used for bookings in the location you select.
- All equipment/spaces in a particular category: this discount code can only be used for bookings in the category you select.
- A particular item/space: this discount code can only be used for bookings in the item or space you select.
- Click the Save Discount Settings button.
Admin users can also edit and delete discount codes. However, please keep in mind the following:
- Once a discount code has been applied to a payment, you will no longer be able to edit its name, code, discount percentage/amount, start date, and scope.
- You cannot delete a discount code once it has been applied to a payment. However, you can deactivate it so that it can no longer be used towards future payments.
To manage your system's discount codes:
- Click any column heading to sort the list of codes in ascending order. Click it again to switch to descending order.
- Use the Search field to filter the list by text in any column.
- To edit a discount code, click on its edit () icon in the Action column.
- To delete or deactivate a discount code, click on its trash can () icon in the Action column.
- Remember: if a discount code has already been used, it cannot be deleted.
- When a discount code is deactivated, its end date will be automatically set to expire immediately.
- To reactivate a code in the future, simply edit it and either remove or extend its end date & time.