Linking to your maps
The LibCal Mapping module allows patrons to browse your available spaces and seats using an interactive floor plan map.
- Each bookable space and seat will be color-coded to indicate its availability.
- When a patron clicks on a space or seat, they'll be able to review its details (such as its description, space capacity, accessibility, etc.).
- From there, a link will take them to the space or seat's booking page, where they can submit a booking.
- The maps can help patrons easily locate the space or seat when they arrive for their bookings.
A map's public URL becomes active once all of its hotspots have been associated to a resource (space, seat, or other map). You can find its link by going to Maps under the Admin menu and looking under the Public URL column.
You can also find links to your maps by clicking on the Admin menu and selecting Spaces & Equipment. Under the Locations tab, the Map column will link to the admin page for a location map, where you can edit its settings. To view the map's public page, click on the location's Map () icon in the Action column.
When viewing a location's Zones or Spaces & Categories, you will find similar options for zone and space maps respectively
Once you have a map's link, you can add it anywhere you'd like -- such as your LibCal homepage, a LibGuide page, or your library website.
Navigating a map
If you're familiar with navigating a Google Map, many of the basic controls apply to your floor plan map in LibCal.
- Click/tap and drag the map to pan from side to side, or top to bottom.
- On a desktop or laptop, you can zoom in or out by placing your cursor over the map and scrolling with your mousewheel or trackpad gestures.
- On a touch screen device, you can pinch to zoom in or out.
In addition, you'll also find the following on-screen controls:
- Date-time picker: click inside the date-time field to view availability on a future date or time. Click the Show Availability button to update the map.
- Zoom In / Out: use these buttons to make the map larger or smaller, respectively.
- Reset Zoom: click this button to apply the default zoom level.
Submitting a booking
On the map, spaces and seats will be color coded to indicate their current and future availability, or if they link to another map. (Admins can customize these colors in your LibCal Maps settings.)
Booking a space
- Click on a space. This will open a modal window showing details about the space, such as its capacity, accessibility, power options, and description.
- If the space is available now or in the future, you'll find a link to create a booking. Click that link to continue.
- This will take you to the LibCal booking page for that individual space. Use the booking availability grid to select your times and finish the booking process.
Booking a seat
If your library subscribes to the Seat Bookings module, some of the spaces on your map may be "container spaces" -- spaces that are not bookable as a whole, but instead contain multiple seats that can be booked.
When setting up your map, your Admin will most likely link a container space to a map of its seats. (These spaces will have a blue background by default, but your Admin can customize that color in your Maps color settings.)
From there, patrons will be able to see the availability of each seat and book it individually.
- Click on the container space.
- This will open a modal window with a link to that space's seating map. Click that link to view the map.
- Click on a seat. This will open a modal window showing details about the seat, such as its accessibility and power options.
- If the seat is available now or in the future, you'll find a link to create a booking. Click that link to continue.
- This will take you to the LibCal booking page for that individual seat. Use the booking availability grid to select your times and finish the booking process.