There are several ways to view the public booking page, which is the first step for a patron to book a space or a seat. These different methods of access—with their slightly nuanced options, depending on the booking page style that is active for your site—can be presented to patrons however you like. For example, you can add links to the booking page to your main library or institution website, add booking widgets to your LibGuides, advertise the ability to book spaces/seats in handouts or around your building, and so forth.
Via direct URL
You can create friendly URLs to go to specific locations, categories, and spaces. There are also built-in direct URLs, described below, that you can use and share by adding on to your base LibCal URL, for example: https://mylibrary.libcal.com
Add /r, for example: https://mylibrary.libcal.com/r
- For both booking page styles, this loads a mobile-friendly page with options to Reserve, Check In or Check Out.
- When using the search-based booking page, selecting Reserve prompts you to choose a location.
- When using the availability grid booking page, selecting Reserve takes you to the New Reservation page. See r/new below.
Add /r/new, for example: https://mylibrary.libcal.com/r/new
- When using the search-based booking page, the /r/new URL prompts you to choose a location.
- When using the availability grid booking page, the r/new URL loads the New Reservation page. Select desired options, click the Show Availability button, and then proceed with the booking.
Add /spaces, for example: https://mylibrary.libcal.com/spaces
- When using the search-based booking page, the /spaces URL prompts you to choose a location.
- When using the availability grid booking page, the /spaces URL automatically loads the first location.
Add /allspaces, for example: https://mylibrary.libcal.com/allspaces
- When using the search-based booking page, the /allspaces URL prompts you to choose a location.
- When using the availability grid booking page, the /allspaces URL loads the spaces (but not seats) for all locations that use the flexible booking grid style.
Via QR Code
You can generate QR codes that you can use to share links to the public booking pages. These codes can be printed and placed in convenient locations inside your building, used in handouts, etc. Patrons can scan the QR code with their mobile phone camera to load the booking page, where they can make a new booking for a space or seat.
You have two QR code options:
- Create a QR code for the New Reservation page
This starts patrons at the beginning and works great as a general booking option.
- Create a QR code for a specific category or space
This starts patrons with a specific category or space already selected. It's a great option if you plan to place the QR code near the associated spaces or seats so patrons are linked to the correct booking page.
Via the tablet/kiosk page
Each space that is bookable as a whole has a dedicated URL designed for displaying on a tablet, which you might affix in or near the corresponding space for the convenience of your patrons. This snapshot view of the space includes the space's current status (available, in use, or upcoming booking starting soon), a list of upcoming bookings for that day, a QR code to go to the space's booking page to make a new booking, and check in and check out options.
- Spaces: View and copy the tablet/kiosk URL for a space
Learn more about the tablet display option for spaces and where to locate a space's tablet display URL.
Via the space booking widget
Space booking widgets allow your patrons to book spaces and seats from outside of your LibCal space bookings page. With just a little embed code, you can add a button to your library website, LibGuides, or just about any other page. When clicked, the booking page launches in a popup. What patrons see here depends on the booking page style that is active for your site. When your site uses the search-based booking style, widgets will use the search-based booking format. When your site uses the availability grid booking style, widgets will use the screen reader-friendly booking format.
- Spaces: Create a space booking widget
Learn how to create a space booking widget and find the code to embed in another site.
While logged into LibCal
This option is just for staff, not patrons. 😉 This is a handy shortcut to jump to the public booking grid while logged into the staff side of LibCal.
- Click on Spaces in the command bar.
- Select the Location you wish to view.
- Click on the Booking Grid & Availability tab.
- Use the filters to select spaces by Category, Zone, or other options.
- Click the Go button to load the booking grid.
- Click on the View Public Page button to display that category's public booking page.
- If you want to view another category, select it from the Category dropdown and click Go to reload the booking grid for the new category. Then select the View Public Page button again.