Adding new fields for organization types
What are fields?
Fields allow you to record different types of information in your organization profiles. LibCRM provides some system default fields for organization profiles, such as Organization Name and Primary Email address (among others). These can help you to record the basics, but you most likely want to create your own custom fields, as well.
When you create your own custom fields, you can choose to apply them to all of your organization types, or just to a specific type. For example, "Mailing Address" or "Website" would be an example of a field you may want to apply to all types, while "Tax ID Number" may be a field you only want to record for vendor profiles.
Organization System Fields
LibCRM provides several general information fields right out of the box, such as Organization Name, which applies to all organization profiles. You can find a complete list of these in the Organization System Fields box when setting up your custom fields. You do not need to recreate these fields, otherwise you'll end up with duplicates in your profiles.
- Required profile fields will display a red Required label. These are fields that the system requires for all person fields, regardless of profile type.
- You can choose to hide any of the optional fields. Simply click on the blue Hide button next to any field and it will be hidden your profiles. Click the Unhide button to display it again.
- Timestamp fields are all automatically updated by the system and cannot be hidden. These will display a green Auto label.
Creating new organization profile fields
In addition to the default system fields, you can create your own custom fields to gather additional information -- either for all groups, or just for individual ones.
- Go to Admin > Manage Form Fields.
- Click on the Fields for Organization Types tab.
- To add a new field to all types, click on the New Field button under Fields Applicable to All Types.
- Otherwise, click on the New Field button for a specific type.
- In the New Field window, enter a label for your new field.
- Use the Field Type dropdown to select which type of field you want this to be.
- There may be additional options to configure depending upon the field type you choose (such as the Field Size option for the TextField type, as seen in the screenshot below).
- For a complete list, check out our article on Profile Field Types.
- If you would like to provide optional instructions for completing this field, you can enter them in the Instructions field.
- To make your field required for each profile, select the Required checkbox.
- Click the Save button.