Restrict access to your site, a group, a guide, or your e-reserves by IP address
IP-based access rules (CMS only) allow you to restrict access to your LibGuides site, specific groups, individual guides, and/or e-reserves based upon a user's IP address. When adding a rule, you can specify which individual IP address or range of IP addresses are allowed to have access to your site, group, guide, or e-reserves. If a user attempts to view the content restricted by your access rule and their IP address is not within your defined ranges, then they will see an "Access Restricted" error page. Otherwise, they'll be able to view your content as normal.
Using IP-based access rules can be helpful if you want to restrict access to content to only those users on your institution's network, or even to individual computers on that network (e.g. only computers in your library).
- When you add an access rule a guide, group, or your entire site, you're stating which IP addresses are allowed to view that restricted content.
- Users outside of those IP addresses attempt to view your restricted content, they will see an "Access Restricted" error page.
- Guides protected by IP access rules will not display in public search results unless the user is within the allowed IP address range.
- If you apply an access rule to your entire site, the Share Guide Content system setting will automatically be set to Internal. This will prevent your guides from being copied by other LibGuides systems. In addition, they will not be included in the LibGuides Community site's guide index.
If you'd like to restrict access to only specific logged-in users, consider assigning your guides to an internal group.
To manage access rules for site, groups, and/or guides, go to Admin > System Settings > Access Rules.
Adding an IP-based rule
- Under IP-Based Rules, click on the Add Rule button.
- Select the Rule Type you want to add:
- Site Rule: this will apply your IP address restriction to all public pages of your site and to guide pages on the admin side (so if a user is outside of the IP address range, they can neither view nor edit guides in your site).
- Group Rule: this will apply your IP address restriction to a specific group and its guides. This will apply to both the public and admin sides of LibGuides (so if a user is outside of the IP address range, they can neither view nor edit guides in that group).
- Guide Rule: this will apply your IP address restriction to a specific guide. This will apply to both the public and admin sides of LibGuides (so if a user is outside of the IP address range, they can neither view nor edit that guide).
- E-Reserves Rule: if you subscribe to the E-Reserves module, this will apply to all public e-reserves pages.
- If you select either a Group Rule or Guide Rule, select which group or guide to which this rule should apply.
- Enter the Starting IP and Ending IP addresses this rule should cover.
- All IP addresses that are between or equal to the Starting IP and Ending IP will be allowed access.
- If you want this rule to apply to only an individual IP address, enter the same IP address in both the Starting IP and Ending IP fields.
- Optionally, you can add a note to this rule to describe what it covers, who it should include, etc.
- Click the Save button.
Managing IP-based rules
- To edit a rule's name, object, and/or IP addresses, click on its Edit () icon in the Actions column.
- To remove an access rule, click on its Delete () icon in the Actions column.
- If other rules still apply to that content, then the users covered by the deleted rule will no longer have access to it.
- If no other rules apply to that content, then the content will no longer be restricted by IP address.