Customize a page's friendly URL
What is a friendly URL
Each guide you create will have its own unique ID number. By default, that ID number will be used to give your guide a unique (but not exactly memorable) URL. Similarly, each page of your guide will also have its own unique ID number. Combined, the URL for a page will look something like this:
Where g=123456 represents the guide's ID number and p=78901 represents the page's ID number.
Fortunately, you can customize that by giving your guide and each of its pages a friendly URL. This allows you to replace the portion of the URL following your domain name with your own custom string. For example:
The friendly URL of each page will display after the friendly URL of the guide, just like it's a subdirectory. In the example above, history is the friendly URL of the guide and databases is the friendly URL of an individual page of that guide.
Giving a page a friendly URL
Note: Before you can begin, you must first give your guide a friendly URL if it does not already have one.
- While editing your guide, click on the page you want to customize in your guide's navigation menu (i.e. tabs or side-navigation).
- Click on the pencil () icon next to the Page URL field at the top of the guide, right above your content columns.
- In the window that appears, add, edit, or remove the text for the guide's friendly URL.
- The friendly URL may only contain alphanumeric characters, dashes, forward-slashes, and underscores.
- While uppercase letters are supported, we recommend using lowercase letters to keep things simple.
- Click the Save button.