Reuse or copy an existing box in a guide
When adding boxes to your guide, you don't always have to start from scratch with an empty box. You can instead reuse existing box -- either from the same guide, or from a different guide. There are two ways to reuse a box:
- Mapping a box: this adds a box to your guide that is linked to the original box that you would like to reuse. As the original box is updated, the changes will be reflected automatically in the mapped version so it's always got the latest and greatest content. The trade-off, though, is that you are not able to edit any content in the mapped version of the box.
- Copying a box: this will create a standalone copy of the original box you would like to reuse. Because it's not linked to the original box, you have the ability to edit the copied box as much as you need. The trade-off, though, is that any changes to the original box will not be reflected in the copies made of that box.
Reusing a box
- While editing your guide, click on the page you want to edit in your guide's navigation menu (i.e. tabs or side-navigation).
- Click the Add Box link at the bottom of the column where you want the box to go. For example, to add a box to Column 2, click on Add Box - Column 2.
- Click on the Reuse Existing Box tab.
- Select the Guide containing the box you want to reuse.
- From the Box dropdown, select the box you want to reuse.
- In the Box Name field, enter a title for your box.
- If you are adding a mapped box to your guide, this field is optional. If you do not enter your own box name, then the name of the original box you're reusing will be displayed.
- Otherwise, the name you enter here will be displayed instead.
- From the Position dropdown, select where in the column the new box should be added. You can add it to the top, bottom, or following any box in the column. (Don't worry: you can always reorder the boxes later.)
- If you would like to hide this box from public view until its ready, select the Draft Mode checkbox.
- While enabled, you can only view the box while editing the guide. It will not be visible on the public guide, or while previewing the guide.
- Note: if your system has the Publishing Workflow (CMS-only) enabled, only a designated reviewer can take a hidden box out of draft mode.
- If you would like to create a copy of this box, rather than mapping it, select the Copy checkbox.
- This will create a standalone copy of the box and add it to your guide.
- If the copied box contains original assets, they will also be copied and you will be assigned as the owner of those new assets.
- If the copied box contains mapped assets, though, those assets will remain mapped in the new box.
- Click the Save button.
Don't see the Copy checkbox? Depending upon your screen size, you may have to scroll down to see it. If you use a Mac, remember that scrollbars do not display by default. But don't worry: you can still scroll. :)