In This Article
Customizing fields in a Shared dataset
- Go to Admin > Manage Datasets
- Edit your dataset by clicking its Edit () button in the Actions column.
- Click on the Edit Fields tab.
Adding a new field
- Click on the New Field button.
- Select the type of field you want to add.
- Give your field a name. This will display as the field's label.
- Optionally, select the Required checkbox to require users to complete this field before submitting their data.
- Optionally, you can add instructions. This text will display when a user hovers over an info icon next to the field's name.
- Customize the remaining options. These will vary by field type, so please see the on-screen help for more info.
- Click the Add Field button.
Editing or deleting a field
- Click on the Edit link next to the field you want to change.
- Make your changes to the field.
- Edit the field's options as needed, then click the Save button. (Note: if your dataset contains records, you cannot change a field's Type. This can only be changed when a dataset is empty.)
- To delete the field, click the Delete Field button. Be careful: this will permanently remove the field and its data from your dataset. This cannot be undone.
- Note: you cannot delete a field that is currently being used in a dashboard. In this case, the Delete Field button will be disabled and a message will appear listing each dashboard containing this field.
- Once the field has been removed from each listed dashboard, then you will be able to delete it.
Customizing the system field labels
Your datasets contains several system fields, including Entered By, Internal Notes, Start Date, and End Date (depending upon your time stamp setting). If you'd like to customize the labels for these fields:
- Click on the Edit System Field Labels link next to the Entered By field.
- Enter your customizations for each field. To use the default label, leave the field empty.
- Click the Save button.
Enable or disable Submitter's IP Address and Submission Source
Below the New Field button, you can choose whether to record the following data with each new submission:
- Submitter's IP Address: use this option to enable or disable recording the IP address of the person adding a new record.
- Submission source: use this option to enable or disable recording where each record was created (e.g. via Upload, System, Widget, or API).
- Click and drag the field to a new position.
- Drag within the same column to change its position.
- To move it to a different column, drag the field over to the desired column. You can position your fields in up to three columns.
- Drop the field to insert it.
- Click the Save Column Order button to save your changes.