- Go to Admin > Manage Datasets
- Edit your dataset by clicking its Edit () button in the Actions column.
- Click on the Edit Fields tab.
Adding new fields
Create an individual field
- Click on the New Field button.
- Select the type of field you want to add.
- Give your field a name. This will display as the field's label.
- Optionally, select the Required checkbox to require users to complete this field before submitting their data.
- Optionally, you can add instructions. This text will display when a user hovers over an info icon next to the field's name.
- Customize the remaining options. These will vary by field type, so please see the on-screen help for more info.
- Click the Add Field button.
Import fields from a spreadsheet
If your dataset currently does not have any fields in it, you'll find the option to import fields from a spreadsheet. With this process, LibInsight will grab the field names from the file and add them to your dataset. You will then just need to fine tune each field's data type.
- Click on the Import from Spreadsheet (in CSV or Excel Format) panel to expand it.
- Click the Import Fields button.
- Select the CSV or Excel file you want to upload.
- Click the Upload and Analyze Headers button.
- For each field, select the appropriate Type for the data it contains.
- System: Entered by: this type is intended for fields that indicate who added the record to the dataset. Select the correct variation (First Name Last Name or Last Name, First Name) that matches how the names are entered.
- System: Start Timestamp: each dataset must have a Start Timestamp field of some variation. If you have the date and time recorded in separate fields, you apply the System: Start Timestamp - Date Part and System: Start Timestamp - Time type to each one respectively. If you only have a single field, then you can select System: Start Timestamp - Date and Time.
- System: End Timestamp: if your dataset has been configured to have a starting and ending timestamp, use this field type for the field containing the end date & time. Similar to the Start Timestamp, you can split the date and time in separate fields.
- System: Internal Notes: use this type if you have a field for logging internal notes about a record.
- Text: this is the best general purpose field type and is ideal for fields with alphanumeric data.
- Numeric: this is best for fields containing only numbers.
- Monetary: this is best for fields containing only dollar amounts.
- Single Select: this is best for multiple choice fields where users can select one value from a pre-defined list of options.
- Multi Select: this is best for multiple choice fields where users can select one or more values from a pre-defined list of options.
- Scale: this is best for fields that are capturing ratings on a particular scale.
- DateTime: this is best if you need to record a date or time value. (Note: these cannot be used in your dataset's time-based, duration, or distribution analyses -- only time stamps are used.)
- Once you've finished selecting your field types, click the Continue button.
- Click the Import Spreadsheet to Dataset to process the import.
- If successful, a confirmation message will appear. To fine tune your field settings (such as adding instructions, reordering fields, adding multiple choice options, etc.), click the View the Created Fields button. Otherwise, you can click on the Start Adding Data button to start recording data.
- Click on the Edit link next to the field you want to change.
- Make your changes to the field.
- Edit the field's options as needed, then click the Save button. (Note: if your dataset contains records, you cannot change a field's Type. This can only be changed when a dataset is empty.)
- To delete the field, click the Delete Field button. Be careful: this will permanently remove the field and its data from your dataset. This cannot be undone.
- Note: you cannot delete a field that is currently being used in a dashboard. In this case, the Delete Field button will be disabled and a message will appear listing each dashboard containing this field.
- Once the field has been removed from each listed dashboard, then you will be able to delete it.
Customizing the system field labels
Your datasets contains several system fields, including Entered By, Internal Notes, Start Date, and End Date (depending upon your time stamp setting). If you'd like to customize the labels for these fields:
- Click on the Edit System Field Labels link next to the Entered By field.
- Enter your customizations for each field. To use the default label, leave the field empty.
- Click the Save button.
Enable or disable Submitter's IP Address and Submission Source
Below the New Field button, you can choose whether to record the following data with each new submission:
- Submitter's IP Address: use this option to enable or disable recording the IP address of the person adding a new record.
- Submission source: use this option to enable or disable recording where each record was created (e.g. via Upload, System, Widget, or API).
- Click and drag the field to a new position.
- Drag within the same column to change its position.
- To move it to a different column, drag the field over to the desired column. You can position your fields in up to three columns.
- Drop the field to insert it.
- Click the Save Column Order button to save your changes.