Add a recurring shift
You can create a shift that repeats daily, weekly, or monthly.
- Click on Schedules from the command bar.
- Select the schedule you want to edit from the Schedule for dropdown.
- Click on the date and time you want the shift to begin. For example, clicking on the 9 am slot in the Monday column (in Week view) will add a shift on Monday with a start time of 9 am.
- Or: click on the cog () button and select Create Shift.
- You will then be able to select a date in the New Shift modal (in addition to the other settings listed in Step 4 below).
- On the New Shift window, you can define the following settings for the shift:
- Shift Name: Provide a short description for the shift if desired (e.g. "Library Opener"). Since this displays directly on the schedule calendar, we recommend keeping the shift name brief (you can use the Tasks & Notes field below for additional notes & info, if needed).
- Shift Color: This is the background color for shift on the schedule, which can be helpful for organizing your shifts (e.g. Color the A.M. shift yellow and the P.M. shift green). Choose from one of the preset colors, or use the color picker field to choose a custom one.
- Start: Select the time when this shift begins.
- End: Select the time this shift ends. Note: If you pick an End time that is earlier than the Start time, then the shift will end at that time on the following day.
- Not sure what your library's hours are for that day? If you set up the LibCal Hours integration, that day's hours will display above the Start and End time fields.
- Repeat Pattern: Choose either a Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Multi-Date picker recurring pattern for your shift.
- Start Date: Select the date when your repeating shift begins.
- End Date: Select the date when your repeating shift ends.
- Note: the date of the last shift may not fall exactly on this date, depending upon your repeat pattern. For example, if a shift repeats weekly on Tuesdays and your End Date is on a Friday, the last shift will occur on the Tuesday of that week.
- If the End Date is left blank, then the shift will repeat indefinitely.
- Auto-Scheduler Maximum per Week: Select the maximum number of times one staff member can work this shift each week. This can help prevent the same person from working every occurrence of the shift.
- Minimum # of People: Each shift can have multiple people assigned to it. Enter the minimum number of people that need to be assigned to this shift.
- Enable Shift Claiming: If you have configured your schedule to allow staff to claim shifts, selecting this option will enable staff to claim this shift if it is unfilled. These shifts will appear under the Open Shifts list on the LibStaffer dashboard.
- Positions: If you have Positions added to LibStaffer (from Admin > Org Hierarchy) and the schedule has been configured to have positions assigned to shifts, you can select the position(s) that are required for filling the shift.
- Tasks & Notes: you can add optional notes that staff will be able to see with their shift assignment, such as when viewing their upcoming shifts on the dashboard.
- Click Save Shift or Save & Assign Staff to save the shift.
- The Save Shift option will take you back to the calendar for the schedule, where you can create additional shifts as needed.
- The Save & Assign Shift option will allow you to assign staff to the shift right away.
Repeat pattern options
Daily repeat pattern options
When using the Daily repeat pattern, the shift will occur at the same time every calendar day between the Start Date and End Date. If the End Date is left blank, then the shift will repeat every day indefinitely.
Weekly repeat pattern options
When using the Weekly repeat pattern, the shift will occur on the selected days of the week at the specified frequency (i.e. every 2 weeks, every 3 weeks, etc.), between the Start Date and End Date. If the End Date is left blank, then the shift will repeat indefinitely.
- Days of Week: select which day(s) of the week when this shift will occur.
- Frequency: select how many weeks apart to repeat the shift. For example, if you select 1 week, then the shift will repeat every week on the selected days. If you select 4 weeks, then it will repeat every 4 weeks on the selected days.
Monthly repeat pattern options: same day each month
When using the Monthly repeat pattern with the Same Day Each Month repeat type, the shift will occur on the same day each month at the specified frequency (i.e. every 2 months, every 3 months, etc.), between the Start Date and End Date. If the End Date is left blank, then the shift will repeat indefinitely.
- Monthly Repeat Type: select Same Day Each Month.
- Day of Month: enter the specific day of each month where this shift will occur. For example, enter 15 and the shift will repeat on the 15th of each month (regardless of which day of the week it falls on).
- Frequency: select how many months apart to repeat the shift. For example, if you select 1 month, then the shift will repeat every month on the selected day. If you select 4 months, then it will repeat every 4 month on the selected day.
Monthly repeat pattern options: day of month pattern
When using the Monthly repeat pattern with the Day of Month Pattern repeat type, the shift will occur on a specific weekday each month at the specified frequency (i.e. the first Monday of every month, etc.), between the Start Date and End Date. If the End Date is left blank, then the shift will repeat indefinitely.
- Monthly Repeat Type: select Day of Month Pattern.
- Week In Month: select the week of the month this shift will occur. For example, if you select 1st, then it will occur on the 1st week of each month.
- Day of Week: select the day of the week this shift will occur. For example, if you selected Monday, then the shift will occur on the Monday of the Week In Month that you selected.
- Frequency: select how many months apart to repeat the shift. For example, if you select 1 month, then the shift will repeat every month on the selected weekday. If you select 4 months, then it will repeat every 4 month on the selected weekday.
Multi-Date picker repeat pattern options
When using the Multi-Date picker repeat pattern, the shifts will occur on the specific days that you select and allow you to add shifts for multiple days where the shift does not recur in a sequential way. This will create individual copies of the shift for only the days selected from the multi-date picker, and will not have any options for editing the shifts in bulk (as you can with the other recurring options).
- Click on the calendar () button to select an additional date to the series.
- Click on the trash can () button next to a date to remove it from the series.
Add recurring shift assignments
If you chose the Save Recurring Assignments option when saving the shift, you will see a second modal to specify the recurrence pattern and start/end dates for the assignment.
- Click the Save Assignments button to complete the recurring assignments. Optionally you can also:
- Deselect any Staff that you don't want to set for the recurring assignment.
- Set the Start Date for when the recurring shift assignment should begin.
- Set the End Date for when the shift assignments should end.
- If the recurrence pattern for the shift covers multiple days of the week, you can specify which days should be assigned from the Days of Week field.
- Set the weekly Frequency of the recurrence pattern.