Do you want to see your upcoming shifts without logging into LibStaffer? Use the Google Calendar sync to pull your LibStaffer schedule into your Calendar. After syncing:
- Your shift names & times will appear in your Google Calendar;
- If you opted to sync busy times, you will be marked as "unavailable" (note is: "Busy in Google Calendar") if you have time blocked off in your Google Calendar that overlaps with any given shifts.
Step 1. Set up a Google Service account
The first step to integrating LibStaffer with your Google Calendar is obtaining a Google Services account. Google makes this a little convoluted, but follow the steps below and you'll be done in no time. :)
- Sign into the Google Cloud Platform using your Google account.
- In the navigation bar, click on the Projects button.
- If you have an existing project you want to use, select it from the list and click OPEN.
- Otherwise, click on New Project to create a new one.
- If creating a new project, give it a name (for example, "Libstaffer Sync") and click the Create button. It may take a few seconds for Google to create the project—that's normal.
- From the project's dashboard page, click on Library from the APIs & Services sidebar.
- The Library will present the available APIs you can use. Search for and click on the Google Calendar API.
- On the Google Calendar API page, click on the Enable button at the top of the page.
- Once enabled, you'll see an alert about needing credentials. Click on the Create Credentials button.
- On the Create credentials page, select Google Calendar API for step 1 Credential Type.
- Select Application data for the type of data you will be accessing.
- Select No, I'm not using them.
- Click Next.
- Under the Service Account Details step, give your service account a name (this could be the same name as your project).
- Click the Done button.
- You do not need to grant service account access or user access.
- If you aren't redirected automatically, go to the Credentials page. From here, copy the email address for your new service account listed in the Email field.
- You'll need this when preparing your Google Calendar and within LibStaffer's setup.
- Then click the Edit Service Account link for your newly created service account.
- Click on the Keys tab for the service account.
- From the Add Key dropdown, select Create new key.
- Choose JSON as the Key Type.
- Click Create. You'll receive a confirmation screen with your private key's password. (You can jot this down if you'd like, but you won't need it for the LibStaffer integration.)
- The key file will also download (be sure to hold onto this -- you'll need it any time you want to sync with this service account).
- You can close the confirmation window.
Step 2. Prepare your Google Calendar
Next, you need to set up your Google Calendar. You can use any of your calendars listed under "My Calendars" in your Google Calendar account (anything listed under "Other Calendars" aren't owned by you, so you can't sync to those).
- Click on the Options () button next to your calendar.
- From the dropdown menu, select Settings and Sharing.
- In your calendar's settings, under Share with Specific People, click on Add People.
- Enter the email address of your Google Service Account.
- From the Permissions dropdown, select Make Changes to Events.
- Click the Send button to save your changes.
- In your calendar's settings, under Integrate Calendar, copy the Calendar ID (you'll need this when setting up LibStaffer, so it may be helpful to leave this tab open in your browser).
Step 3. Set Up LibStaffer
- Click your email address in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Go to the Calendar Sync tab.
- In the Google Service Account box, complete the following fields:
- Email Address: Paste the Service Account email copied in Section I.
- Google Calendar ID:
- Go to your Google Calendar > Settings and sharing window.
- In the Integrate Calendar section, copy the Calendar ID.
- Go back to your LibStaffer window and paste that into the Google Calendar ID box.
- JSON Key File: Click Select File and select the file that was downloaded in Section I.
- Check Free / Busy times: Check this box if you want your Google Calendar events to mark you as unavailable in your LibStaffer schedules during those times.
- Click Save & Test Settings.
- An active, successful sync will show the timestamp of the last sync in the Google Service Account panel header.
- To stop syncing, click on the Disconnect button.
- Optionally, click the Run the Export button to add your future scheduled shifts to your Google Calendar.