Privacy scrubbing allows you to designate form, survey, quiz, and tutorial fields to be automatically cleared on a rolling basis. This can help ensure that you do not retain personally identifiable information longer than you absolutely need to.
At the system level, Admin users can choose to clear any or all of the following each time the privacy scrubber runs:
- Individual fields marked for scrubbing
- In each form, survey, quiz, and tutorial, you can designate individual fields to include.
- Whether or not those fields are actually cleared, however, is controlled by this system-level setting.
- IP addresses
- All submitter Name fields
- This will scrub every Name field added to all forms, surveys, quizzes, and tutorials.
- When enabled, form owner/editors will not be able to override this for individual Name fields.
- All submitter Phone fields
- This will scrub every Phone field added to all forms, surveys, quizzes, and tutorials.
- When enabled, form owner/editors will not be able to override this for individual Phone fields.
- All submitter Email fields
- This will scrub every Email field added to all forms, surveys, quizzes, and tutorials.
- When enabled, form owner/editors will not be able to override this for individual Email fields.
The privacy scrubber is an automated process that runs daily. Once enabled for your system, data older than a certain number of months will be cleared from the designated fields. For example, if you choose a 1 month window to retain data, each time the privacy scrubber runs, data in those fields older than 1 month from that date will be cleared. Data in other fields are retained with the submissions, so you'll still be able to analyze your statistics.
Set up privacy scrubbing
Privacy scrubbing can be set up by request by visiting Admin > System Settings > Privacy Data Scrub. If you've not yet requested privacy scrubbing to be set up, you'll see a message containing instructions. Click on the Springshare Privacy Scrub Request link to get started.
On this form, you'll then be asked to provide the following info:
- Your name: your name will be listed in your LibWizard site as the person who requested privacy scrubbing
- Your email: please provide the email address you use to log into LibApps
- Product: select LibWizard from the dropdown
- Site ID: you can find this via your LibApps dashboard page
- Site URL: the domain name of your LibWizard site
- Number of months of data to keep in LibWizard: privacy scrubs are run each day, so this will be a rolling number of months of data to keep. For example, if you choose to keep 1 month of data (the smallest amount possible), each day the privacy scrub will remove any data over 1 month old and keep the rest.
- The fields you'd like to clear: again, these include:
- Name Fields (applies to whole system)
- Phone Fields (applies to whole system)
- Email Fields (applies to whole system)
- Fields you designated for Data Scrubbing in your LibWizard site.
- IP Addresses for Submitted Items
You'll have the opportunity to review your responses before submitting. Please carefully review and confirm that you have selected the correct settings. Once we run the privacy scrub for the first time, any data that's been deleted cannot be recovered.
View your privacy scrub settings
Once Springshare has received and set up privacy scrubbing per your preferences, the Admin > System Settings > Privacy Data Scrub tab will reflect the current settings you have in place. This includes:
- The number of months of data being retained
- Who submitted the privacy scrub request form and when the scrub was enabled.
- Individual forms, surveys, quizzes, and tutorials that have fields designated for scrubbing (click on a form, survey, quiz, or tutorial to view a list of those fields)
- Which system-wide settings you have enabled