Customizing your LibAnswers system settings
Whether you're a brand new LibAnswers admin, or just need a refresher on managing system settings, this Springboard has you covered. Admin users can find the system settings by going Admin > System Settings. The following sections correspond to the different tabs available on the System Settings page, with the links below providing you more info on the available settings.
General system settings
The General tab of the System Settings page allows you to customize basic system information.
- Customize the institution information for your system
Learn how to customize basic details about your institution and LibAnswers system, such as its name and time zone.
- Customize the ticket answer page
Learn how to customize the page staff use when replying to patron tickets.
- Customize default Reference Analytics prompts
You can choose to automatically prompt users to add tickets and/or chat transcripts to your Reference Analytics datasets.
- Define your local IP address ranges (optional)
Query Spy allows you to analyze the actual search queries patrons are submitting to your FAQ groups. This allows you to identify how successful patrons are in finding FAQs that match their queries, and spot popular searches that you have not yet answered in your FAQs.
- Add Google Analytics or other tracking code to your public LibAnswers pages
Learn how to easily embed Google Analytics or other third-party tracking code on all of your public pages.
The Access Rules tab of the System Settings page allows you to control who can access your LibAnswers system and content.
- Restrict access to your public LibAnswers pages to account holders
If you'd like to use LibAnswers as an internal knowledge base only, this option will allow you to restrict access to your public pages to only signed-in users. This means that only those people with a LibAnswers user account will be able to view your homepage, search for FAQs, and view FAQ entries via your FAQ group pages.
- Restricting access to your LibAnswers site by IP address
If you'd like to restrict access to your public pages to only those people within specific IP address ranges, you can add one or more IP access rules to your system. When you add an access rule, only users within the IP address range you specify will be able to view your home page, search for FAQs, and view FAQ entries via your FAQ group pages.
- If you would like to provide access to your restricted pages to off-campus users, LibAnswers gives you the option of proxying your URLs. That way, if a user from your institution attempts to access a page from outside of your network, they will be able to authenticate via your proxy and view your site just like they were on campus.
- Restrict or disable access to your LibAnswers API and question form, search, topic list, and FAQ List widgets
Learn how to restrict or completely disable access to LibAnswers content via your API and widgets.
- You can also require API and widget access to be made via HTTPS only.
Look & Feel
- Customize the banner image for your LibAnswers system
Learn how to upload, change, or remove your site's banner image.
- Add a custom HTML header to your public LibAnswers pages
Learn how to add HTML code to give your site a custom page header.
- Add a custom HTML footer to your public LibAnswers pages
Learn how to add HTML code to give your site a custom page footer.
The Language Options tab of the System Settings page allows you to customize the base translation of your public pages. It's also where you can customize the default text, labels, buttons, etc. found throughout those pages, as well.
- Customize the language options and base translation of your LibAnswers system
Learn how to customize the language on your public LibAnswers pages.
Admin Alert Box
The Admin Alert Box tab of the System Settings page is where you can add a custom dashboard message for all users to see. This is like having a bulletin board in the staff lounge -- when users sign into LibAnswers, they'll see the box at the top of the page, making it a great way to share news and announcements.
- Customize the admin alert box on the LibAnswers dashboard
Learn how to customize the admin alert box for your site.
- Customize the privacy and data submission notifications on your LibAnswers pages and widgets
Learn how to customize your site's privacy notification messages.