Appointments 101: setting up your schedule and managing appointments
The Appointments module makes it easy for your patrons to book one-on-one appointments with you. Whether it's via your public appointment booking page or an Appointments widget, patrons can see when you're available and schedule an appointment in just a few clicks.
You can view and manage all of your appointments right from within LibCal. And, with iCal feeds, Outlook/Exchange integration, and Google Calendar integration, you can easily keep track of all of your upcoming appointments so you never miss a meeting.
The Appointment Settings allow you to configure the duration of your availability times, booking restrictions, and other important settings. Because these have a big impact on how students book appointments with you, it's strongly recommended that you set these up before you start adding availability times.
When patrons schedule an appointment with you, they will need to fill out a form. By default, the form will ask the user to enter their name and email address. However, you can customize the form to add additional questions, up to 10 total.
The Appointments module generates several notification emails, such as confirming new bookings and reminding patrons about their upcoming appointments. Each of these emails is automatically generated based upon a template, which you can customize as needed.
Syncing your Appointments schedule with your Outlook/Exchange calendar, Google Calendar, and/or LibStaffer is an easy way to prevent double-booking yourself. Whenever someone books an appointment with you, or you add a new appointment yourself, that event will be added automatically to Outlook/Google Calendar. And if your library subscribes to LibStaffer, you can sync your LibStaffer shifts with your Appointments availability times.
- Sync your Appointments schedule with your Outlook calendar using Azure OAuth 2 sync (recommended over password authentication)
- Note: this method requires an Admin to first set up Azure OAuth 2 integration in your LibCal system settings.
- Sync your Appointments scheduler with your Outlook calendar using password authentication
- Sync your Appointments scheduler with a Google calendar
- Sync your Appointments availability with your LibStaffer shifts
Before your patrons can start booking appointments with you, you must first designate the times when you're available. When you add an availability time to your appointment schedule, you are essentially saying "I'm available for an appointment at this time."
The duration of each new availability time you add will be determined by either:
- The Appointment Duration setting in your Appointment Scheduler Settings
- NOTE: if you change your appointment duration in the future, this will not change the duration of your existing availability times. It only applies to new availability times you add to your appointment schedule.
- Or, if your admin has enabled Appointment Categories & Durations, this will be determined based upon the durations of those categories.
When you're just getting started with the Appointments module, you'll notice that your appointment calendar displays blue squares. Every blue square represents an hour where you have not added an availability time. In other words, it's like you are saying "I'm not available for an appointment at this time."
- Add and delete availability times from your appointment schedule
- How will I know if I'm running out of appointment availability times?
- How can patrons schedule appointments with me online?
- How to create and use an Appointments scheduler widget
- Click on Appointments in the orange command bar.
- Under the My Appointments tab, your upcoming appointments will display by default.
- Click on the View Past Appointments button to view your most recent past appointments instead.
- Use the Back () and Forward () buttons in the mini-calendar to navigate between weeks.
- Click on the current week to launch the date picker. When you select a date, you'll be taken to the corresponding week where that date falls.
- Click on a date to view a list of all appointments that day.
- All time slots with confirmed appointments will be colored red. Click on an appointment slot to view its details.
- Please note: if your appointment includes padding time, that padding will be reflected in the calendar -- but not in the appointment's When date.
- For example, if you have a 45 minute appointment time with 15 minutes of padding, you will see a 60-minute red slot for that appointment.
- If you click on that time slot, the appointment's When field will only reflect the actual 45 minute appointment time -- not the padding.
- Each appointment will be listed in its own panel next to the mini-calendar, listing its details and with various options for managing the appointment.
- To edit an appointment's booking form details, including the patron's name and email address, click on the edit () icon next to the Full Name.
- To reschedule an appointment (including assigning it to a different user), click on the edit () icon next to the When date.
- To leave an internal note with this appointment, click on the edit () icon next to the Internal Notes field.
- To make changes to the follow-up email text for just that individual appointment, click on the edit () icon next to the Follow-up date.
- To cancel an appointment, click on the trash can () icon next to the When date.
- To record whether a patron showed up for their appointment, toggle the User Showed Up options accordingly. Appointments marked explicitly Yes or No will be included in your appointment statistics.