The LibGuides dataset allows you to analyze the total number of public page views, user sessions (if you have CMS), and published vs. total guides for your LibGuides system. This includes:
- A breakdown of public page views and sessions by month or year.
- The distribution of public page views and sessions by day of the week, weekend vs. weekday, and month.
- Trends in your public page views and user sessions over time, with year-over-year comparisons.
- The ratio of published guides vs. total guides over time.
These datasets are ideal for getting a bird's-eye view of your usage, especially when you need to analyze trends over time. This can also be useful with the cross-dataset analysis tool, as you can easily compare traffic to your LibGuides site against traffic to other websites gathered in your Google Analytics datasets.
It's important to note that the LibGuides dataset provides a general overview of your site's usage. For a detailed analysis of individual guides, pages, assets, or searches, you'll want to continue consulting the statistics module in LibGuides.
In this Springboard, you'll learn how to create and configure a LibGuides dataset, as well as record and analyze data.
LibGuides datasets are only available to LibInsight Full customers. If you're interested in upgrading to the Full version of LibInsight, contact our Springy Sales team.
To create a new dataset, Admin users can go to Admin > Manage Datasets and click the Add New Dataset button.
Once you have the dataset set up, LibInsight automatically keeps your LibGuides datasets up to date so you don't have to lift a finger. Each night, data from the previous day will be imported, keeping your stats current up to the previous calendar day.
- Create a LibGuides dataset
Learn how to create a LibGuides dataset; define the dataset's permissions; and set up your dataset's LibGuides systems.
- Editing the name and description of an existing LibGuides dataset
Learn how to customize an existing dataset's name and description.
- Editing an existing dataset's user permissions
Learn how to add, edit, or remove permissions for Regular users in an existing dataset.
- Manage a LibGuides dataset's systems
Learn how to edit, remove, or empty the records from your dataset.
When analyzing a LibGuides dataset, you'll find the following reports:
- Overview: breaks down your public page hits and (if you have CMS) user sessions by month or year. This will allow you to analyze your totals over time.
- Distribution: provides a breakdown of your public page hits and user sessions by day of the week, weekday vs. weekend, and month.
- Trends: allows you to compare the current date range against the same period of time in previous years. This can help you see the overall trend, as well as year-over-year differences.
In addition, LibInsight includes other tools to help you analyze, visualize, and share your data with others:
- Dashboards: dashboards allow you to display charts of key data points from one or more datasets on a single page. Dashboard pages can be public or private, allowing you to create and share dashboards internally with staff or with the public.
- Cross-Dataset Analysis: allows you to compare up to 4 variables from across one or more datasets. This can provide some really useful insight for seeing trends across services or resources over time.
- Analyzing a LibGuides dataset
Learn how to generate a report for a specific date range. This includes an overview and example of each available report option.
- Comparing multiple datasets using the Cross Dataset Analysis tool
Learn how to generate a cross-dataset analysis report to compare multiple datasets at once.
- Creating a dashboard
Learn how to create a dashboard to visualize and share key data points from your datasets.