Create and manage person profiles
A Person profile allows you to keep track of important information about your library's stakeholders. Out of the box, this includes basic contact info, such as a person's name, email address, and other contact info. However, you can customize your profiles to include additional info, such as research interests, publication history, affiliations -- whatever is most relevant for your library.
Person profiles are also used to coordinate and track interactions with your stakeholders, whether it's a simple email offering a library instruction session, or helping an author research your special collections & archives. Each interaction you add not only helps you track your outreach and engagement, but it can also help you develop more personalized services in the future.
In this Springboard, you'll learn everything you need to know about building person profiles & logging interactions.
Before you begin adding profiles to LibCRM, consider asking staff to create lists of the patrons or stakeholders they interact with regularly. This can help inform which people to add profiles for, and which staff member(s) they should be assigned to. When a user is assigned to a profile, it indicates that the person is responsible for managing that profile. For example, if this is a profile for a History professor, then you may want to assign your History liaison as the owner and your Head of Reference & Instruction as a co-owner.
Once you're ready to get started, there are two ways to add person profiles to LibCRM:
- Add new profiles individually: any user can create a new profile via New > New Person, or by going to Profiles > People and clicking on the New Person button.
- Bulk import profiles: Admin users can import multiple profiles at once, which can be especially helpful when setting up your system for the first time. To get started, go to Admin > Import Profiles and follow the on-screen instructions.
When creating a new profile, you'll be prompted to assign it a type. Profile types allow you to organize profiles by category, such as Students, Faculty, Alumni, Donors, Volunteers, etc. Each type can include unique fields for capturing details unique to that group, in addition to general fields common to all person profile types. This allows you to keep all of the important details about the person in one place for easy reference.
- Creating a new person profile
Learn how to create an individual person profile.
- How to import new person profiles
Learn how Admin users can import multiple profiles at once, including a detailed overview of setting up the Excel templates.
After you add a person to LibCRM, you can begin building their profile. Each person profile includes:
- Profile photo: you upload an optional profile photo of the person.
- General information: these are the details you added when creating the profile, such as contact info and profile type fields.
- Relationships: these allow you to indicate how the person is connected to other person profiles in your system.
- Memberships: these allow you to indicate how the person is connected to organization profiles in your system.
- Interactions: these allow you to record a history of emails, phone calls, meetings, and other types of communication with the person.
- Tasks: these can help you coordinate future interactions and follow-ups with the person. These can be added individually, or as part of a larger project.
- Projects: these can help you plan and manage large-scale initiatives, such as a fund-raising drive or departmental liaison outreach, which may have a number of tasks involving multiple profiles.
- Notes & attachments: these allow you to record info and and upload files that are relevant to the person. Each note or attachment can be associated with multiple profiles and/or projects.
To get started, you can view a person's profile by going to Profiles > People and clicking on the person's Name.
You can also manage the profiles assigned to you via your LibCRM dashboard. Just scroll down to the Current list of Assign Profiles box and click on the name of the person you want to view.
- Viewing a person profile
Learn how to view and navigate a person profile page.
- Customizing a person's profile image
- Editing a person profile's general information
- Managing a person profile's relationships
- Managing a person profile's memberships
- Managing interactions with a person
- Managing a person profile's tasks
- Managing a person profile's projects
- Managing a person profile's notes and attachments
- Adding a new interaction
Learn how to create a new interaction manually, via email, or via a connected LibCal or LibAnswers system.
- Creating a new task
Learn how to add a new task and associate it with one or more person profiles.
- Creating a new project
Learn how to set up a new project and associate it with one or more person profiles.
- Adding a note to a profile
Learn how to create a note, add an optional file attachment, and associate it with one or more person profiles.
- Searching LibCRM
Learn how to search for specific profiles, as well as interactions, tasks, notes, attachments, and projects.
- Deleting a person profile
Learn how to permanently delete a profile from LibCRM.
The Reports page allows you to generate lists of profiles, interactions, projects, tasks, relationships, memberships that meet specific criteria, including:
- General profile information (e.g. name, email address, profile type, etc.)
- Interaction details (e.g. interaction source, staff, location, etc.)
- Task details (e.g. status, associated profiles, etc.)
- Project details (e.g. project membership and dates)
- Relationship details (e.g. profile names and relationship types)
- Membership details (e.g. profile names and membership types)
Each report you generate can also be exported to an Excel spreadsheet. To create a new report, click on Reports in the LibCRM navigation bar.
- How to generate and export reports
Learn how to create a report and export profile data to an XLS spreadsheet.