Create and manage organization profiles
An Organization profile allows you to keep track of important information about organizations your library interacts with, such as vendors, committees, teams, consortia, or professional organizations. Out of the box, this includes basic contact info, such as an organization's name, email address, and other contact info. However, you can customize your profiles to include additional info, such as a mailing address, website -- whatever is most relevant for your library.
Organization profiles are also used to coordinate and track interactions with your organizations, whether it's a simple email with a vendor rep, or attendance at a consortium or professional organization meeting.
In this Springboard, you'll learn everything you need to know about building organization profiles & logging interactions.
Before you begin adding profiles to LibCRM, consider asking staff to create lists of the internal or external organizations they interact with regularly. This can help inform which people to add profiles for, and which staff member(s) they should be assigned to. When a user is assigned to a profile, it indicates that the person is responsible for managing that profile. For example, if this is a profile for an e-resources vendor, then you may want to assign your Electronic Resources Librarian as the owner and your Systems Librarian as a co-owner.
Once you're ready to get started, there are two ways to add organization profiles to LibCRM:
- Add new profiles individually: any user can create a new profile via New > New Organization, or by going to Profiles > Organizations and clicking on the New Organization button.
- Bulk import profiles: Admin users can import multiple profiles at once, which can be especially helpful when setting up your system for the first time. To get started, go to Admin > Import Organizations and follow the on-screen instructions.
When creating a new profile, you'll be prompted to assign it a type. Profile types allow you to organize profiles by category, such as Departments, Non-profits, Partner Libraries, Vendors, etc. Each type can include unique fields for capturing details unique to that group, in addition to general fields common to all organization profile types. This allows you to keep all of the important details about the organization in one place for easy reference.
- Creating a new organization profile
Learn how to create an individual organization profile.
- How to import new organization profiles
Learn how Admin users can import multiple profiles at once, including a detailed overview of setting up the Excel templates.
After you add an organization to LibCRM, you can begin building its profile. Each organization profile includes:
- Profile photo: you upload an optional profile photo for the organization.
- General information: these are the details you added when creating the profile, such as contact info and profile type fields.
- Memberships: these allow you to indicate how the organization is connected to other organization or person profiles in your system.
- Interactions: these allow you to record a history of emails, phone calls, meetings, and other types of communication with the organization.
- Tasks: these can help you coordinate future interactions and follow-ups with the organization. These can be added individually, or as part of a larger project.
- Projects: these can help you plan and manage large-scale initiatives, such as contract renewals or events, which may have a number of tasks involving multiple profiles.
- Notes & attachments: these allow you to record info and and upload files that are relevant to the organization. Each note or attachment can be associated with multiple profiles and/or projects.
To get started, you can view an organization's profile by going to Profiles > Organizations and clicking on the organization's Name.
You can also manage the profiles assigned to you via your LibCRM dashboard. Just scroll down to the Current list of Assign Profiles box and click on the name of the organization you want to view.
- Viewing an organization profile
Learn how to view and navigate an organization profile page.
- Customizing an organization's profile image
- Editing an organization profile's general information
- Managing an organization profile's memberships
- Managing interactions with an organization
- Managing an organization profile's tasks
- Managing an organization profile's projects
- Managing an organization profile's notes and attachments
- Adding a new interaction
Learn how to create a new interaction manually, via email, or via a connected LibCal or LibAnswers system.
- Creating a new task
Learn how to add a new task and associate it with one or more organization profiles.
- Creating a new project
Learn how to set up a new project and associate it with one or more organization profiles.
- Adding a note to a profile
Learn how to create a note, add an optional file attachment, and associate it with one or more organization profiles.
- Searching LibCRM
Learn how to search for specific profiles, as well as interactions, tasks, notes, attachments, and projects.
- Deleting an organization profile
Learn how to permanently delete a profile from LibCRM.
The Reports page allows you to generate lists of profiles, interactions, projects, tasks, relationships, memberships that meet specific criteria, including:
- General profile information (e.g. name, email address, profile type, etc.)
- Interaction details (e.g. interaction source, staff, location, etc.)
- Task details (e.g. status, associated profiles, etc.)
- Project details (e.g. project membership and dates)
- Relationship details (e.g. profile names and relationship types)
- Membership details (e.g. profile names and membership types)
Each report you generate can also be exported to an Excel spreadsheet. To create a new report, click on Reports in the LibCRM navigation bar.
- How to generate and export reports
Learn how to create a report and export profile data to an XLS spreadsheet.