Managing projects and tasks with LibCRM
Tasks allow you to keep track of your progress towards certain goals or outcomes. Whether its part of a larger project, or simply a reminder to follow up with a person by a certain date, tasks let you know what you've done and what you need to do next. Each task can be assigned to one or more users and has its own status, so you can track its completion.
A project allows you to create, organize, and collaborate on related tasks. For example, if you wanted to organize liaison outreach with each academic department, you could create a project with a series of tasks assigned to different librarians. Each task could be associated with the respective faculty member's profile, allowing each librarian to easily log related interactions and notes along the way. As each librarian finishes their outreach with a particular department, they could mark the task as complete.
In this Springboard, you'll learn how to use LibCRM to manage your projects and tasks.
Creating a project from scratch
To create a brand new project from scratch, you can either:
- Click on the New menu in the navigation bar and select New Project.
- Click on Projects in the navigation bar, then click the New Project button.
When creating a new project, there a few things to consider:
- Is anyone collaborating on this project with you? If so, you can assign them as project members. Each member will see your new project listed in their Current List of Projects on the LibCRM dashboard.
- Are any people or organizations associated with this project? If so, you can select their profiles as associated records. This will add the project to each profile's Current List of Projects.
- Who is the manager for this project? This will be the best person to select as the owner, whether its you or another user.
- Is this project one part of a larger project? If so, you can select that as the parent project. This is a helpful way to keep your related projects organized and help you keep track of project dependencies.
- Creating a new project
Learn how to create a new project from scratch.
Creating a project from a template
Project templates allow you to quickly create new projects using preset settings. This is great if you frequently create the same types of projects over and over: instead of having to re-enter the same owner, details, associated records, etc. for each one, you can simply load the template when creating your project. Then, all you need to do is fine tune your new project's settings and you're on your way.
- Create, use, and manage project templates
Learn how to create project templates and use them when creating new projects.
To view a project's general information, tasks, and other content:
- Click on assignment Projects in the command bar.
- On the Current List of Projects page you can use the various navigation options to help locate the project you are looking for:
- Use the search box to filter the list of profiles by name or email address.
- Use the page controls to change how may projects display at once and to navigate between pages.
- Click on a column heading to sort by that column in ascending order. Click it a second time to sort in descending order.
- Click on the Refresh button to reload the list of projects.
- To view the project, click on its name.
Adding tasks to a project
While viewing a project, you can add and manage its tasks in the Current List of Tasks box. (Alternatively, you can also create new tasks by going to New > New Task, or by going to Tasks in the navigation bar and clicking the New Task button).
For each task assigned to the project, you'll see its due date, status (pending or completed), and the number of attached files (if any).
- To view additional details, simply click on a task's subject.
- To create a brand new task, click on the New Task button. When creating a task while viewing a project, the new task will automatically be assigned to it.
- Click on a task's edit icon to update it, or click on the delete_forever icon to permanently delete it from LibCRM.
- Want to simply remove a task from a project without deleting it? Edit the task instead and remove the project from the Projects field.
- Creating a new task
Learn how to add a new task and assign it to a project.
- Managing a project's tasks
Learn how to view, edit, or delete a project's tasks.
Adding interactions related to a project
Whether it's an email, phone call, or in-person meeting, interactions allow you to keep a history of your engagement with each person or organization. Each interaction can also be associated with individual tasks or entire projects, allowing you to easily keep those related activities organized for future reference.
While viewing a project, you can add and manage its associated interactions in the Current List of Interactions box. Although you are more likely to create new interactions while viewing a person or organization's profile, you can still create them here, as well (or by going to New > New Interaction).
- To view additional details, simply click on an interaction's subject.
- To add a new interaction associated with this project, click on the New Interaction button. While adding your interaction, you'll be able to select associated people or organization profiles, as well as related tasks.
- Click on an interaction's edit icon to update it, or click on the delete_forever icon to permanently delete it from LibCRM. This will also remove it from any associated profiles and tasks, so be careful!
- Want to simply remove an interaction from a project without deleting it? Edit the interaction instead and remove the project from the Interaction In field.
- Adding a new interaction
Learn how to add a new interaction manually, via email, or via integrations with your other Springshare products.
- Managing a project's interactions
Learn how view, edit, or delete interactions associated with a project.
Adding notes & attachments to a project
Notes allow you to store important info and attachments with a project. This could include meeting notes, agendas, flyers, transcripts, licenses, contracts, and any other important information you might need to track. By keeping this organized right within your projects, they're easier to find and share.
While viewing a project, you can add and manage notes & attachments in the Current List of Interactions box (you can also add notes by going to New > New Note).
- To view additional details, simply click on a note's subject.
- To add a new note or attachment to this project, click on the New Note/Attachment button. While adding your note, you'll be able to select associated people or organization profiles.
- Click on a note's edit icon to update it, or click on the delete_forever icon to permanently delete it from LibCRM. This will also remove it from any associated profiles, so be careful!
- Want to simply remove a note from a project without deleting it? Edit the note instead and remove the project from the Projects field.
- Adding a note to a project
Learn how to create a new note and upload file attachments.
- Managing a project's notes & attachments
Learn how to edit and delete notes & attachments assigned to a project.
Editing & deleting projects
Admin users can fully edit or delete any project. Regular users can edit the general info of any project, but can only reassign ownership of projects that they currently own. In addition, they can only delete projects that they own, as well. For all other projects, the Delete option will be disabled.
To edit or delete a project, head to the Projects page and click a project's edit icon to update it, or click on the delete_forever icon to delete it. Please note that deleting a project will also permanently delete its tasks, discussions, and notes & attachments, so proceed with caution!
- Editing a project's general information
Learn how to edit a project's title, description, status, members, and other general information.
- Deleting a project
Learn how to permanently delete a project, including its tasks, discussions, and notes & attachments.
Each project has its own discussion board, allowing members to communicate through the duration of the project. This helps facilitate collaboration, keeping the project's communication in one place -- right alongside the project's other content, including tasks, interactions, and notes. Not only does it give project members a central place to look for updates and information, it also helps keep an archive of the project team's communications.
- Using a project's discussion board
Learn how to add, reply to, and manage posts in a project's discussion board.
When you log into LibCRM, you land on your personalized dashboard. In addition to the latest news and announcements from Springshare, you'll also find shortcuts to your currently assigned projects, tasks, and profiles. This makes it easy to see which projects have been recently updated, while also allowing you to quickly view, edit, and delete projects right from your dashboard.
Also on the dashboard, you'll find your personal notification settings. This allows you to receive email notifications each time a new project, task, or profile is assigned to you.
- Navigating your LibCRM dashboard
Learn how to view your current list of assigned tasks, projects, & profiles, as well as manage your personal notification settings.