Adding the Manual LTI tool to Canvas
The Manual LTI tool allows you to embed Guide content, Database links, and/or E-Reserves Courses into Canvas.
As with most instructions for other vendors' products, instructions may be a bit different, depending on the version of Canvas you're using. The general idea of the thing should hold true, though:
- You can set the tool up at the Account or Sub-Account level, depending on your Canvas setup.
- Account level: tool is available in all courses throughout the whole system.
- Sub-Account level: tool is available in all courses within that Account (i.e., a large University may have Sub-Accounts for each school within the University; you can set the tool up for a specific school / Sub-Account).
- You must use the Config URL to set this up in Canvas in order to get the placements set up properly. Placements are the areas in the system where you can access the tool. The Manual tool is placed / available in:
- Assignments Section
- Rich Text Editor areas (cloud icon in the editor menu)
- Wherever you can add Links, including the Modules area.
LibApps: Get the Configuration Information
You'll need to get your Canvas admins the configuration information for the Manual tool or create them an account in one of your Springshare apps and make them a LibApps Admin.
- Go to LibApps:
- Either log in using your LibApps Login URL, or
- Log into any Springshare product and click the blue menu > choose LibApps.
- Go to Admin > LTI Tool Builder.
- On the LTI Manual Mode tab, review / modify the Setup Options.
- Then review the Configuration Details. Send your Canvas admins the following fields:
- LTI Config URL
- LTI Consumer Key
- LTI Shared Secret
You do not need the Launch URL for Canvas. The Config URL provides Canvas with the Launch URL in the appropriate area.
Adding the Tool to Canvas
- Go to Admin > Select the appropriate Account or Sub-Account - wherever you'd like to set it up.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Add App.
- Fill out the form:
- Configuration Type = By URL
- Name = Whatever name you'd like to give it; this is only displayed in this Settings > Apps > External Apps list.
- Consumer Key = LTI Consumer Key
- Shared Secret = LTI Shared Secret
- Config URL = LTI Config URL
- Click Submit.
Finding the Tool in Canvas
When using the Manual LTI tool in a Canvas course, you'll find it in any area that has:
- an Assignment selection option;
- a Rich Text Editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Syllabus, Outcomes, Quizzes, etc.) - you'll see a blue cloud icon in the toolbar;
- Link selection options (like the Modules area).
The name of the tool is the name given in your LibApps > LTI Tool Builder > LTI Manual Mode > Setup Options area. Remember, once it's added to Canvas, you cannot use the LibApps options to change the name or description.
Check out our "Displaying Content using the Manual tool" FAQs (linked below) for more on selection options for various types of content.