Adding the Automagic LTI Tool to Canvas
The Automagic LTI tool allows you to embed content from your LibGuides site into Canvas using matching vs. selecting content manually. A field from a Canvas course is compared with the metadata added to LibGuides, and any resulting matches are displayed in the Canvas course.
As with most instructions for other vendors' products, instructions may be a bit different, depending on the version of Canvas you're using. The general idea of the thing should hold true, though:
- You can set the tool up at the Account or Sub-Account level, depending on your Canvas setup.
- Account level: tool is available in all courses throughout the whole system.
- Sub-Account level: tool is available in all courses within that Sub-Account (i.e., a large University may have Sub-Accounts for each school within the University; you can set the tool up for a specific school / Sub-Account).
- You must use the Config URL to set this up in Canvas in order to get the placements set up properly. Placements are the areas in the system where you can access the tool. The Automagic tool is placed / available for the Course Navigation.
LibApps: Get the Configuration Information
You must be a LibApps Admin to get the configuration information for your system.
You'll need to get your Canvas admins the configuration information for the Automagic tool or create them an account in one of your Springshare apps and make them a LibApps Admin.
- Log into any Springshare product and click the blue menu > choose LibApps.
- Go to Admin > LTI Tool Builder > LTI Automagic.
- Go to the Configuration Details section. Send your Canvas admins the following fields:
- LTI Config URL
- LTI Consumer Key
- LTI Shared Secret
You do not need the Launch URL for Canvas. The Config URL provides Canvas with the Launch URL in the appropriate area.
When testing this setup, you'll need to make sure that you have your Automagic tool configured in LibApps / LibGuides. While your Canvas admins are configuring things there, review the documentation and configure the tool / add some test metadata on the LibApps / LibGuides side as well.
Adding the Tool to Canvas
- Go to Admin > Select the appropriate Account or Sub-Account - wherever you'd like to set it up.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Add App.
- Fill out the form:
- Configuration Type = By URL
- Name = Whatever name you'd like to give it; this is only displayed in this Settings > Apps > External Apps list.
- Consumer Key = LTI Consumer Key
- Shared Secret = LTI Shared Secret
- Config URL = LTI Config URL
- Click Submit.
Finding the Tool in Canvas
When using the Automagic LTI tool in a Canvas course, you'll find it in the Course Navigation.
This tool is an "opt out" type of placement vs. an "opt in" type of placement, meaning it's going to appear in every course navigation menu automatically. Instructors / course editors can edit their course navigation to remove it, if they wish.
If you'd prefer it to be opt-in, meaning instructors / course editors would have to edit the navigation in their courses to add it to their course's nav menu, check out our FAQ on modifying Canvs placements / other options.
The name of the tool is the name given in your LibApps > LTI Tool Builder > LTI Automagic > Setup Options area. Remember, once it's added to Canvas, you cannot use the LibApps options to change the name or description. So make sure it has the appropriate name before it's added to Canvas.