A weekly hours template defines the opening and closing times for each day of the week. You must have at least one hours template before you can set up hours for your libraries and departments.
When you set up your hours for a library or department, you're telling LibCal to apply a weekly hours template between a start and end date. Because your hours likely vary throughout the year, you can create and apply different templates accordingly. For example, you could have templates for:
- Regular / semester hours
- Summer hours
- Spring, Fall, and/or Winter break hours
- Final or midterm exam hours
- Different libraries or departments within a library (for example, if your Reference Desk has shorter hours than your library is open, you could use separate templates for each)
Then, when setting up your library hours for the year, you would be able to apply your regular hours template from August to December, your final exams hours template during the first couple of weeks in December, followed by your Winter break hours template and so on.
When it comes to holidays or dates that have special hours, you can add single-date exceptions to a library or department instead of rearranging your templates and date ranges. When an exception is added, it will override the weekly hours template only for that particular date. For example, if you are closed on Labor Day, you could add an exception just for that date. Once the exception ends, your template's hours will resume.
Create a new weekly template from scratch
- Go to Admin > Hours.
- Click on the Weekly Templates tab.
- Click on the Add New Weekly Template button.
- On the Add New Weekly Template page, use the Template Name field to give your template a descriptive name.
- If you are adding hours for multiple libraries and departments, consider using a naming convention that can help you keep these organized.
- For example, if you used a convention such as Library - Department - Time Period, you could have templates like:
- Main Library - Circulation - Semester Hours
- Main Library - Reference - Semester Hours
- Science Library - Reference - Summer Hours
- Downtown Branch - Media Desk - Fall Hours
- Specify your opening hours for each day of the week.
- Closed: select this option if you are closed for the entire day.
- Open 24 Hours: select this option if you are open for the entire day.
- By Appointment: select this option to display "By Appointment" for that day instead of an opening and closing time.
- Custom Time: select this option to display a specific opening time and closing time for that day.
- Click the Add a secondary open time button to add two opening and closing times for that day (e.g. if you are closed for lunch, you could be select 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm).
- If you added a second opening and closing time, you can remove it by clicking the trash can () button next to it.
- Custom Text: select this option to display some text for that day instead of an opening and closing time.
- Click the Save Template button.
Copy an existing template
Instead of creating a brand new template from scratch, you can also copy an existing template. This is great if you need to create a template with only minor adjustments to another template's hours (such as for finals week, for example).
- Click on the Copy Existing Template button.
- From the Copy Template dropdown, select the template you would like to copy.
- Click the Continue button.
- Customize the name and hours for this template using the same steps listed above.
- Click on the Save Template button.
Edit or delete a template
- To edit a template's name and/or weekly hours, click on its Edit Template button.
- To delete a template, click on its trash can () button.
- Please note: you can only delete templates that are not currently in use. You will see an alert message letting you know if a template is unable to be deleted.
- If you receive that message, remove or replace it in the hours for your libraries and departments, then try again.