Add, edit, or delete a library in the LibCal Hours module
In the Hours module, a library is any location for which you want to display opening hours. Within each library, you can add individual departments for things like Circulation, Reference, or Archives -- basically, any service point within that library. This can be helpful if your service points have different hours from the rest of your library.
If you have multiple libraries, you will be able to configure most types of Hours widgets to display hours for all libraries at once, or just for an individual library. That way, you can create a separate Hours widget for each library that they can embed on their website, in their LibGuides, etc.
How many libraries do I need?
If you have just a single location, then you may only need to create one library. However, if you belong to a system of libraries, then consider adding one library for each physical location. For example, you could create a library for:
- Each branch of a public library system
- Each campus of a university system
- Each library on a campus (e.g. Main library, Science library, Law library, etc.)
- Each school in a district
Adding a new library
- Go to Admin > Hours.
- Under the Libraries tab, in the Define New Library panel, enter a name for your library in the New Library field.
- Click on the Add Library button. This will create your library, then take you to the Edit Library / Department page.
- Once on the Edit Library / Department page, you can configure the optional settings for this library.
- Name: use this field to make changes to the library's name.
- URL: you can provide an optional URL for this library, such as the library homepage. When a URL has been provided, the library's name will link to it from the various Hours widgets.
- Description/Intro: you can provide an optional description for this library, which will appear when viewing the library's location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Contact Info: you can provide optional contact info for this library, which will appear when viewing the library's location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Footnote: you can provide an optional footnote for this library, which appears as a caption at the bottom of the weekly grid and monthly calendar Hours widgets.
- Week starts on: choose whether the library's week begins on a Sunday or a Monday.
- Background Color: choose which background color to use for this library's hours in the monthly calendar Hours widget. The text color will be white, so be sure to select a background color that provides a good contrast ratio.
- Google Place ID: this optional ID allows you to display an embedded Google Map of your location when viewing its location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Not sure what your library's Place ID is? You can look it up using Google's Place ID Finder.
- Unlike when using latitude and longitude coordinates, your location will be indicated by a marker on the Google Map.
- Map Latitude and Longitude: if you are not using a Google Place ID, these optional coordinates can also be used to display an embedded Google Map of your library's location when viewing its location information in the Combined Weekly/Monthly View widget.
- Not sure how to find these? Go to Google Maps and look up your location. Then, right click on it and select "What's Here" to view the latitude and longitude for that point.
- Unlike when using a Place ID, your location will not be indicated by a marker on the Google Map. Rather, the map will display centered on your location.
- Click the Save button.
Edit or delete a library
- To edit a library's name or other settings, click on its Settings option.
- To delete a library, click on its trash can () icon.
- Please note: you can only delete a library if it does not have any future hours assigned to it.
- You will receive an alert message if you are unable to delete a library. Remove all future date ranges and exceptions from the library, then try again.
- Caution: deleting a library will also delete its departments and cannot be undone, so be careful!