How to migrate from Room Bookings to Spaces
Why migrate to Spaces?
You can use the Spaces module to manage your room bookings across multiple locations, such as labs, meeting spaces, and study rooms. This allows you to take advantage of some helpful improvements to the booking process compared to the Room Bookings module, including:
- Availability times are now determined by a location's operating hours and the booking duration for each room.
- That means you don't have to add, edit, or delete individual availability times for each of your rooms!
- This also means that patrons can book rooms that go past midnight in a single booking! Now when a patron wants to book a room from 11pm-1am, they don't have to submit multiple booking forms!
- Plus, if you ever need to update your availability times, you no longer have to bulk delete existing time slots and add new ones. Instead, just increase or decrease the maximum booking duration for each room category.
- Patrons can now book rooms by defining a start time and an end time -- they no longer have to select multiple availability times.
- This makes it much easier to manage bookings: if a patron reserved a room for three hours, you no longer have to cancel three individual slots.
- Instead, you just need to cancel the one booking, or change its start and end times.
- Recurring bookings are now easier than ever to manage!
- In the Room Bookings module, recurring room bookings are not linked together. If you need to change or remove a booking from the series, you had to modify each booking separately.
- But with Spaces, all instances of a recurring booking are listed in a single booking request. This makes it easy to view, manage, and cancel recurring bookings.
- Create events from a booking request.
- You can now create an event in one of your calendars from within any confirmed booking.
- This is a great way to create an event linked to a booking, especially if you use your space bookings for librarians, faculty, or groups to schedule classes, workshops, or meetings.
The migration process in a nutshell
If you'd like to use Spaces to manage all of your room bookings, you can migrate your existing room groups from the Room Bookings module. The migration process will:
- Migrate your existing room groups as new room categories
- Migrate the individual rooms in each group, including the room names, descriptions, images, and terms & conditions
- Migrate all future bookings for each room (past bookings data will still be available via Stats > Room Bookings after migration)
- Remove access to the Room Bookings module once migration has been completed
To manage the migration process from Room Bookings to Spaces, go to Admin > Equipment & Spaces.
Step 1. Starting the migration process
If you have not previously had the Spaces and/or Equipment modules enabled for your site, you'll be taken to the "Spaces Module: Setup" page. Please skip to Step 2. Setting up Locations to continue.
However, if you see the "Manage Locations" tab (screenshot below) when you visit Admin > Equipment & Spaces, you'll first need to click on the Start Spaces Migration button. This will take you to the Spaces Module: Setup page.
In the Spaces module, your spaces are organized by Location. A location can have different categories of rooms, each with its own booking durations and restrictions. The availability of rooms within each category are defined by the opening hours for your locations, although it is possible to set up a category or individual space to override those hours. This makes it easy to manage the availability times for your spaces, as you just need to modify a location's hours or a category's booking limit.
You can even link a location to your LibCal Hours module, that way you can tie your availability times to a library or department's opening hours. This can be a huge time saver if your location's hours correspond to your library's hours, since you'll only need to add and edit your hours in one place.
Adding a new location
- Click on the Add New Location button.
- Enter the name of your location in the Location Name field.
- Save your changes.
You need to have at least one location in order to proceed with the migration process. However, you can create as many locations as you need. Just repeat Steps 1-3 to add additional locations.
Step 3. Importing your room booking groups
Once you've created your locations, the next step is to import your room groups from the Room Bookings module. During this part of the process, you will be asked to assign each group to one of your locations. When the import process is complete, each group will be added as a category to the selected location. The following info will be imported from each group:
- Categories will include the names, descriptions, and Booking Window Limits of your imported groups. The Duration and Frequency options will not be imported -- those will need to be configured manually later on.
- Spaces will include the names, descriptions, capacities, directions, images, and status of your imported rooms.
Importing room groups
- Click on the Import Room Groups button.
- For each room booking group, use the corresponding dropdown menu to select the location where you want to import it.
- Click on the Import button.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I make changes to my room groups after I've imported them to the Spaces module?
Once you import your room groups, changes you make to your groups in the Room Bookings module will not be reflected in the Spaces module. You'll need to make the corresponding changes in the Spaces module, too.
If you have added a brand new group to Room Bookings after you ran your import, those will need to be mapped to one of your locations prior to finalizing your migration. Contact Springy Support if you need help with this.
Will I still have access to the Room Bookings module after I import my rooms?
Yes! Your patrons will continue to use the Room Bookings module to place their bookings until you finalize the migration process. Until then, staff will want to keep managing bookings via the Room Bookings > Availability page. However, feel free to let them explore the Spaces module to learn how it works! Once you finalize your migration, the Room Bookings module will no longer be available in the LibCal command bar. At that point, they will exclusively use the Spaces module to manage bookings.
What happens to our bookings data? Will we have to recreate bookings for our patrons?
Nope! All of your future room bookings will be migrated to the corresponding spaces when your finalize the migration process. The data for your past bookings will not; however, you can view and export the past bookings for each room by going to Stats > Room Bookings: Per Room. The Stats > Room Bookings: Overview report will still allow you to view a yearly summary of your past bookings, as well.
Please note: because Room Bookings structures each time slot as a separate booking, they will be migrated as such to Spaces. For example, if a room is booked in 30-minute slots from 1pm to 3pm, that's a total of 4 time slots -- each of which is edited/canceled individually. During migration, you will end up with the same 4, 30-minute time slots. Each will be a separate booking just like in Room Bookings, rather than a single 2 hour booking.
What if I imported a group to the wrong location?
No worries! You can move spaces between categories and categories between locations. :)
Will the migration override any new spaces I create?
Nope! You'll just want to make sure that your new spaces plus your existing rooms do not exceed the total number of rooms/spaces allowed in your LibCal subscription.
Step 4. Setting up your spaces
Before you finalize your migration, you'll want to take some time to finish setting up your locations, categories, and spaces. Head over to Admin > Equipment & Spaces to get started.
- Set up the hours for each of your locations.
- Create any customized booking forms you'd like to use for your space bookings. If you were using customized booking forms in Room Bookings, you'll want to recreate these in the Spaces module.
- Customize the Space Capacity Filters for your public bookings page. LibCal allows users to filter available rooms by their capacity. You can customize both the range and language of each of these filters.
- Configure the settings for each location. This includes the location's visibility, email templates, terms & conditions, authentication/confirmation options, and booking form, among other things.
- Configure the settings for each of your categories. This includes each category's booking duration, padding, booking limits, and mediation option, among other things.
- Configure the settings for each of your spaces. This includes the capacity, direction, description, image, and status for each room.
For more information about setting up the Spaces module, please see our Setting Up Equipment & Spaces tutorial.
Step 5. Finalizing your migration
The last step in the process is to finalize your room bookings migration. During this part of the migration process, all of your future bookings will be migrated from the Room Bookings module to the corresponding spaces. If you had any events linked to one of your rooms, those locations will also be updated accordingly. Data and stats from your past bookings will still be available under the Stats menu. These will include a link to the Bookings Explorer so you can search and export that data if needed.
Once the migration process is complete:
- The Room Bookings link will no longer appear in the LibCal command bar. At this point, staff will begin using the Spaces module to manage all of your room bookings.
- The URLs for your public booking pages will change. To ensure your patrons are able to place bookings with the new Spaces module, be sure to change any links for your old Room Bookings page to your new Spaces booking page.
- Replace your old room bookings widgets. You'll want to replace them with new Spaces widgets, which can be created under Spaces > Widgets.
- If you are using the LibApps Automagic LTI Tool, the integrated Room Bookings widgets will no longer work.
- You'll want to go to LibApps > LTI Tool Builder > LTI Automagic and, under the Library LTI Page Builder section, do the following:
- Set the Room Bookings widget to "Do Not Display"
- Select a category of spaces to use from the Space Bookings widget
- QR Codes and iCal feeds will need to be updated. You can find these for each category by going to Spaces > Availability.
Finalizing your migration
- Go to Admin > Equipment & Spaces.
- Click on the Finalize Room Bookings Migration tab.
- Review the list of imported rooms. Make sure that they are mapped to the correct space (contact Springy Support if you need to make any changes). You can also see a summary of the future bookings and events linked to room bookings that will be migrated.
- If you have not set up any hours for your locations, an alert will appear reminding you to do this.
- Be sure to do this before making your spaces available to the public. Otherwise, your spaces will not have any availability times.
- Click on the Complete Migration button.