What are Zones?
Zones allow you to organize your spaces and seats by where they are physically situated within a location (e.g. floors or wings of the library). The zones that you create for your location(s) can be used to track the utilization of your spaces, and to give your patrons an opportunity to select a space based on the zone that it is located in from the New Reservation booking page.
Zones are not a replacement for space categories. They are an additional way to sort and organize your spaces. If you have spaces that all have similar booking limits, you would continue to assign those spaces to the same category. For example, let's say that your library has multiple group study rooms on both floors of your library and there are also large meeting rooms on each floor. Because the group study rooms would all have the same booking limits that would differ from those for your meeting rooms, you would still set up separate space categories for the study rooms vs the meeting rooms. Then you could set up two new zones, Floor 1 and Floor 2, with the first-floor study rooms and meeting rooms assigned to Floor 1 and the second-floor study and meeting rooms assigned to Floor 2. This would allow you to track the utilization of your spaces on each floor and give your patrons the opportunity to find and book a room on a specific floor of the library.
While we recommend assigning spaces to a zone if there are certain spaces within a location that do not fit into a particular zone that is ok. All spaces that are not currently assigned to a zone are grouped together in the Spaces not assigned to any Zone section.
Assign spaces to a zone
- Go to Admin > Spaces & Equipment.
- Under the Locations tab, click on the location's edit () icon in the Action column.
- Click on the Zones tab.
- Select Edit Zone from the cog () button in the zone heading for the zone.
- Note: if you haven't set up any zones yet, you'll need to do that first.
- Select the spaces to assign to the zone from the Spaces In Zone on the Update Zone modal.
- Click the Update Zone button.
Add a new space or copy of a space to a zone
In addition to assigning existing spaces to a zone you can also create a new space or a copy of a space in a zone.
Add a new space
- Select Add New Space from the cog () button in the zone heading for the zone where you want to add the space.
- Give the new space a Name on the Add Space modal.
- Change the Zone if needed.
- The zone you clicked the Add New Space button from will be selected by default.
- Select the Category for the space.
- Click the Save & Continue button.
- After saving, you'll be redirected to the space's settings where you can complete the space set up.
Add a copy of a space
- Select Add Copy Of Space from the cog () button in the zone heading for the zone where you want to add the space.
- Select the Space to Copy from the Add Copy Of Space modal.
- The only spaces available for copying are those that have been assigned to the zone previously.
- Change the Name of the space.
- Optionally give the space a Description.
- Click the Create Copy button.
- This will create a new space with the same capacity, directions, status, etc.
- If the space being copied was a container space for seats, it will not copy the seats within the space.