If you'd like, you can require patrons to check in when they arrive for their booking and check out when they are done. This provides you with real-time occupancy numbers for each space via the Spaces > Utilization dashboard.
Patrons check in and out by scanning a unique QR code for their booking, that way there's no interaction between staff and the patron.
When enabled, the check-in/out setting will apply to all spaces and seats in a given location, and the option to mark users as having shown up for a booking will be disabled for the location. Additionally, when enabled, you can also optionally choose to have bookings cancelled automatically after a set amount of time past the booking's start time if the patron does not check in for their booking. If a user does not check in for their booking in time, LibCal will automatically cancel it, making the space/seat available for other patrons to book.
Enable the space / seat booking check in / out
To set this up for your location:
- Go to Admin > Spaces & Equipment.
- Under the Locations tab, click on the location's edit () icon in the Action column.
- Under the General tab, in the Seat/Space Check In panel, use the Check In dropdown to select the lead time for being able to check in for a booking.
- If enabled, you can select a time window when users can check in, from 30 minutes prior to the booking start time to 5 minutes prior.
- If you do not want to require users to check in for a booking, select Not enabled.
- When Check In is enabled, select a time from the Check Out dropdown to choose the number of minutes after the booking ends that the user can check out still.
- Check out times can span from the end of the booking to up to 30 minutes after the booking ends.
- If you only want to allow logged-in staff users to check patrons in and out, select the Admin Only Check In/Out checkbox.
- When enabled, patrons will not receive any check-in/out information in booking notification emails.
- Staff users can check patrons in/out for a booking when viewing the booking's details.
- If a patron checks out from their space/seat booking 5 or more minutes before the scheduled end time, you can have the remaining time will be freed up as Available by enabling the Early Booking End Time Update option.
- Note that this only works for locations using the flexible booking duration grid for the public seat/space booking page.
- Optionally, select a time from the Late Check In Auto Cancellation dropdown to set how much time users have to check in for their booking before it is automatically cancelled.
- The amount of time you select will be applied starting at the booking's start date & time.
- If you do not want to automatically cancel bookings, select Not Enabled. This means space/seat will remain unavailable until the booking's end date & time.
- Click the Save button in the Seat/Space Check In panel.
View check in / out times with the Booking Explorer
The Booking Explorer allows you to view your booking data including the check in and check out times for your bookings.
To view the check in/out times for current or past space and seat bookings:
- Click on Spaces in the command bar.
- Select the Location you wish to view.
- Click on the Booking Explorer tab.
- Use the filters to adjust the bookings that will be returned and click Go.
- For more information on the available filters, see the View and export space & seat bookings using the booking explorer FAQ.
- The check in and check out times will be listed in the Checked In/Out column of the report.