Tags offer you another way of organizing your guides. Unlike subject categories, which can help facilitate easier browsing, the primary benefit of tags can be seen when searching for guides. Not only do tags help improve the relevancy ranking of guides, they also appear as facets on the search results page, giving patrons another option for filtering results.
You can also create a Tags widget that you can embed in your guides or library website. When users click on a tag, it will take them to the search results page with the results pre-filtered by that tag. These widgets can present tags in a bulleted list, a dropdown menu, or even a tag cloud.
To add or manage your tags, go to Admin > Metadata & URLs > Tags. Although guide owners can assign tags to guides, only admin-level users can manage tags from this page.
Add a new tag
Although guide owners and editors can create new tags for their guides on the fly, admins can also create tags that can be reused by other users. This can help if you want to create or maintain a controlled vocabulary for the tags in your system.
- Click on the Add Tag button.
- Give your tag a name.
- Save your changes.
Edit a tag
Admins can edit the name of any tag added to their LibGuides system. This is a great way to correct any typos and ensure that tags have a consistent structure.
- Click on the tag's Edit () icon in the Actions column.
- Edit the tag's name.
- Save your changes.
Delete a tag
Admins also have the ability to delete tags, as well. When a tag is deleted, it will be removed from any guide to which it was assigned.
- To delete a tag, click on its Delete () icon in the Actions column.
- Consider sorting the Guide Count column to look for tags that aren't currently assigned to guides. This is a great way to clean up unused tags.
- If you find tags that have similar names or are duplicates, consider consolidating the assigned guides to a single tag and deleting the duplicate. If you click on the number in the Guide Count column, you'll see a list of links to each guide assigned to that tag, making it easy to go and edit each one.