Add a database from the A-Z Community (CMS only) to your local A-Z List
By adding a database to your local A-Z Database List from the A-Z Community (available only with LibGuides CMS), you will be able to reuse the Community-curated database name, vendor, and/or description in your own A-Z List. Plus, the more linked databases you have, the more you can analyze your holdings against the rest of the A-Z Community members.
There are two ways to add a database from the A-Z Community:
- When viewing the database record under the A-Z Community tab.
- When adding a new database in your A-Z Database List under the Databases tab.
- Go to Content > A-Z Database List.
- Click on the A-Z Community tab next to the database's name.
- If the database you're looking at is already in your A-Z Database List, you'll instead see an I have it label appear next to the database's name and vendor.
Add a new database from the A-Z Community tab
When adding a new database to your A-Z Database List, you can reuse the existing Community record.
- Under the A-Z Community tab, click on the name of the database you want to add. This will display its Community record.
- Not sure if you already added this? The Have It column will display a Y for each database you're currently linking to.
- If the Have It column displays an N, then it means you are not linking to that record (though you may still have a database of the same name in your local A-Z Database List).
- When viewing the database record, click on the Add Database to My System button.
- This will take you to the Add Database page, where you can finish creating your database.
- The Vendor/Provider field will automatically display the name of the vendor in the A-Z Community record. If that vendor has not yet been added to your own system, click the Save button to add it.
- The Database Name field will automatically display the name of the database from the A-Z Community record. Any customizations you make on this screen will only be reflected in your local A-Z List.
- The Description field will automatically display the description from the A-Z Community record. You can customize this if needed. Any customizations you make on this screen will only be reflected in your local A-Z List.
- When finished, be sure to click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Add a new database and link it to the Community
When you create a new database under the Databases tab, you can look and see if it's listed in the A-Z Community. If it is, then you can link to the community database, with an option to copy the vendor, database name, and description to your local database.
- Under the Databases tab, click the Add New Database button.
- In the Database Name field, enter the name of the database.
- Click on the Community button. The Search Community Databases window will pop up with a list of results matching the name you entered.
- Select the database you want to add.
- Click the Continue button.
- Select the Name, Description, and/or Vendor checkboxes if you'd like to import that data into your own database.
- Click the Continue button.
- The info you selected will be copied to your database. You can then finish configuring your database as normal.
What if my database isn't listed in the A-Z Community?
If a match can't be found for your database, then you will be given the option of contributing it to the A-Z Community. That will allow other members of the Community to link to that database in the future.
When contributing a database, the data you entered in the Vendor / Provider, Database Name, and Description fields will be added to the Community record (the Description is optional, but a Vendor must be provided in order to contribute the database).