Add a new discussion
To start a new discussion:
- Click on the Add New Discussion panel at the top of the discussion board. Each new discussion includes:
- Title of the post: enter a title for your post (up to 255 characters). This will display on the main discussion board page, so make sure it clearly conveys what your discussion is about!
- Tags: assign one or more tags to your post. You can pick from the available tags added by your system admin.
- Content: use the Rich Text Editor to add content to your post. This is where you can expand on your question or topic.
- Attach a file: if you'd like to share a file in your post, you can upload files up to 20MB in size.
- This post is a question: if you mark your post as a question, this will allow you to designate a reply as "Correct". When a reply is marked "Correct", it will be highlighted in the thread and automatically close the discussion. This is great for discussions where you're looking for the best answer to a question or problem!
- Keep me updated via e-mail: you can choose to receive email notifications whenever someone replies to your discussion.
- Once you're finished, click the Create Discussion button.
Reply to a post
Discussion boards in LibGuides are threaded, which means that your reply will be nested under the specific post you reply to. This makes it easy to navigate through different levels of a discussion and reply to the proper post.
Reply to a specific post
- Click on the Reply link in the lower right corner of the post to open the Reply panel. When creating the reply you can:
- Content: use the Rich Text Editor to add content to your post.
- Attach a file: if you'd like to share a file in your reply, you can upload files up to 20MB in size.
- Keep me updated via e-mail: you can choose to receive email notifications when someone replies to your post.
- Click the Reply button when you're done.
Reply to the original post
Replies to the original post of the thread can be started by:
- Clicking the Reply link in the lower right corner of the original post.
- Clicking the Reply to Original Post link at the bottom of the page.
Once you have clicked either link, you can use the same options for creating a reply as outlined above.
Mark a reply as helpful
Sometimes it can be beneficial to mark the most highlight certain posts in a discussion, as it can help readers home in on the most useful information. For discussions that are not designated as questions, you can mark posts as "Helpful", which highlights the post in the thread. Any user can mark a post as helpful, but only the original post's author or an admin can remove the designation from a reply.
Any reply -- not the original post -- can be marked as helpful by clicking on the Helpful link in the bottom right corner of the post. Once a reply has been marked as helpful, it will be highlighted in the thread.
Questions: mark a reply as the best answer
For discussions that are designated as questions, you can mark one post in the thread as the "Best Answer", which highlights the post in the thread. Only the original post's author or an admin can mark a reply as the best answer or remove the designation from a reply.
Any reply -- not the original post -- can be marked as the best answer by clicking on the Best Answer link in the bottom right corner of the post. Once a reply has been marked as the best answer, it will be highlighted in the thread.
Edit a post or reply
Discussion board posts and replies can be edited by clicking on its Edit () button and selecting the Edit Post option from the dropdown.
Admin-level account holders can edit any posts, while regular and patron accounts can edit their own posts.
Delete a post or reply
Note: Admin-level account holders can delete any posts/replies, while regular and patron accounts can delete their own posts/replies.
- Discussion board posts and replies can be deleted by clicking on its Edit () button and selecting the Delete Post option from the dropdown.
- Choose the type of deletion from the Delete Discussion modal.
- Delete the post and all replies: if your post has any replies, this will delete your post and all of its replies. If you're deleting the original post in your discussion, this will delete the entire discussion.
- Delete only this post, but keep its replies: this will delete the content of your post, replacing it with a message that it was deleted. However, it will retain all of the replies to that post, allowing the discussion to continue.
- Check the box that you understand that the action cannot be undone and click the Delete button.
Subscribe to discussion notifications
In addition to being able to receive email notifications for replies to posts that you have made (or just for replies to your own reply in a thread), you can also subscribe to email notifications for any new replies to a discussion board thread.
To subscribe to a discussion, click the Email Notifications: Off link in the top right corner of the post.
To unsubscribe, click the same link that will display as: Email Notifications: On
Close or reopen a discussion
When a discussion is finished, it can be helpful to close the discussion. Users are still able to read closed discussions, but they will be unable to add new replies unless the discussion is reopened.
- To close a discussion: click on the Close Discussion link at the top of the thread.
- To reopen a closed discussion: click on the Re-Open Discussion link.
Note: only the original post's author or an admin can close or re-open a discussion.