Via the command bar
To analyze a dataset, click on Analyze in the command bar. This will take you to the default dataset selected in your account's settings. If you are currently viewing the Record Data page for a dataset, however, it will take you to that same dataset's Analyze page instead.
Via the homepage
In the Shortcuts box, select a dataset from the Analyze Data In dropdown.
Via the Datasets page
Click on a dataset's Analyze Data () button in the Actions column.
- Modify the From and To dates to set the date range for your report. The default dates will be set according to what your LibInsight admin selected as the Financial Year Dates in your system settings. You can also limit to specific days of the week, hours of the day, and duration.
- If you'd like, you can use the Entered By filter to view only those records entered by a specific person.
- Use the sorting dropdown to choose how the records will be sorted (the default is Date Descending).
- Optionally, you can filter your report by field value.
- Use the Add Additional Report Filter dropdown to configure your filter.
- When finished configuring a filter, don't forget to click Add this Filter to apply it to your report.
- Please note that you can only add one filter per single select or multi select field.
- To select multiple values for a single select or multi select field, press CTRL + click on each option in the list.
- Some datasets will have an option allowing you to Save Report Filters. If you commonly apply the same filters to your fields, this can save you a lot of time in the future.
- To apply your saved filters, click on the Saved Report Filters link.
- To remove all of your filters, click on the Clear All Filters button.
- Click on the Generate Report button to run the report. Once finished, you'll be able to review the available reports for your particular dataset.
Data Grid report
The Data Grid provides a complete list of records included in your report. From this view, records can also be edited and deleted. Admins have the ability to edit or delete any record. All other users can only edit or delete the records that they've entered.
- Click on the Edit () button in the Actions column to edit a record.
- To delete an individual record, click on the Delete () button in the Actions column.
- To delete multiple records at once:
- Click on the checkbox for each record to delete.
- Or, to delete all records on the page, click on the Check All checkbox at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the red Delete Checked button. (NOTE: this is permanent so be careful!)
Field Analysis report
The Field Analysis report provides you with an in-depth look at the responses for individual fields.
- You can create charts to break down responses for any single-select, multi-select, or scale field.
- You can also analyze fields by group, which will break down each field of a certain type (such as all of your select fields). This will show you the total count of responses for a particular field option, as well as its percentage of the total responses for that field.
Time-Based Analysis report
The Time-Based Analysis report allows you to track your data over time. This can include the total number of entries added to your dataset, as well as sum of Numeric fields and distribution of Select fields. You can analyze data by year, month, day, or hour. However, please note:
- If analyzing data by day, be sure your report's date range is limited to one year or less of data.
- If analyzing data by hour, limit your report's date range to seven or fewer days if you want to view the time-based analysis chart. If your report spans between 7 and 60 days, you will still be able to view the "Time-Based Sums/Averages" data table.
If your dataset includes both a Start Timestamp and End Timestamp, the Duration report will allow you to analyze the duration of each record. This includes:
- The sum of all durations
- The minimum and maximum durations
- The average duration
- The top 10 longest and shortest durations (with links to each corresponding record)
The Distributions report provides you with a breakdown of your data by:
- Day of the week
- Weekday vs. weekend
- Hour of the day
- Day and hour
- The Entered By user
Cross Tab report
The Cross Tab Report allows you to compare the relationship between two fields.
- Select the field you want to display in each row.
- Select the field you want to display in each column.
- Click the Show Distribution button.
In the example report below, you'll see the number of instruction sessions taught by department and room.
The Trends report allows to see how the totals of your numeric data has changed over time. You can create charts to visualize trends in your data for the past 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, or even 10 years (if you have that much data!). In addition, you'll get a data table with each year's totals, with the ability to see year-over-year changes and the percentage change against the first year of the report.
Before running your report, make sure that you've selected a date range of one year or less. You can even use partial years, which can allow you to compare the same date range over the past several years. This can be useful, for example, if you want to compare just Fall Semester data over the past 5 years.
- Select which numeric fields to analyze.
- Select the time period you want to compare against. This will be determined based upon the dates selected in your report. For example, if you generated a report from January 1, 2016, to December 31, 2016, and choose the last 2 years, then the Trends report will give you a comparison of January 1, 2015, to December 31, 2015, and your 2016 data.
- Click the Show Trends button to generate the report.
- Click on the Toggle Trend Details option above the table to view year-over-year comparisons.
The Export Data tab is where you can export the data of your current analysis to a CSV file. This will only include the filtered records in your report. If you want to export all of your dataset's data, therefore, make sure that you set your date filters to include all of your records.
Once you're ready, just click on the Export Data Into CSV button to download the data.