In This Article
Recording or uploading data to a shared dataset
Via the command bar
To record data to a dataset, click on Record Data in the command bar. This will take you to the default dataset selected in your account's settings. If you are currently viewing the Analyze page for a dataset, however, it will take you to that same dataset's Record Data page instead.
Via the homepage
In the Shortcuts box, select a dataset from the Record Data To dropdown.
Via the Datasets page
Click on a dataset's Record Data () button in the Actions column.
- By default, the Entered By field will select the name of the signed in user. If you want to attribute this record to someone else, click on the dropdown and select their name. This list will include all users in your LibInsight system -- not just those with access to the dataset.
- If you'd like, you can add a message in the Internal Notes field. This can be helpful if you want to record any special circumstances or info about this particular record.
- Fill out the remaining fields, as appropriate.
- If you need to start over for whatever reason, click the Unselect/Reset All Fields option at the bottom of the form.
- Submit your record:
- If your dataset is configured to allow users to enter multiple records at once, use the # of Records to Insert field to specify how many copies of this record to add. This can be helpful, for example, if you need to log 4 instances of the same directional or ready reference question.
- Click on the Submit button to save your records, but leave your data on the screen. If you need to add additional records with some of the same data, this will save you the trouble of having to enter it over and over again.
- Click the Submit & Clear button to save your records and reset each field. You can still add more records, but you will start with empty fields.
- From the Record Data page, click on the green Upload File button.
- Check your Excel or CSV against the Fields List to ensure that the columns match exactly with the listed fields. Otherwise, your upload will fail.
- Choose the date format that corresponds with the format used in the data you're importing. Your data will not import if the date formats do not match.
- Choose your Excel or CSV file.
- If your dataset contains required fields, you can choose whether to override those restrictions when uploading data by using the Required Fields setting.
- If you select Required fields may be empty, LibInsight will treat your required fields as optional. If a required field is empty, LibInsight will continue to process your file.
- If you select Required fields must contain data, LibInsight will not process your file unless all records contain valid data in your required fields.
- If your data contains Select fields, you can use the Allow Adding Options setting to choose what happens if your imported data contains values not found in those fields.
- If you select No, then the import will stop and not add the unrecognized values to your field.
- If you select Yes, then the unrecognized values will be added to the list of options in your Select field.
- Click the Upload Data button.
- If the upload is successful, a confirmation message will appear at the top of the page.
- If the upload failed, an error message will appear at the top of the page. This will detail the issues found in the file so you can correct them and try again.
Managing uploaded data
- Click on the Uploads List tab to view a list of all successfully uploaded files.
- Click on the Download File () button in the Action column to download a copy of the file.
- Click on the Delete () button in the Action column to delete the file and its data.
- If the file's Update Type is "Add to Existing", the values from the file will be deducted from the totals in your dataset.
- If the file's Update Type is "Overwrite if Existing", then the corresponding records from the dataset will be deleted.
Managing your records
To view, edit, and delete the records that you've personally entered into the dataset (either manually or by upload):
- On the Record Data page, click on the Manage Your Records button.
- If needed, adjust the date filters to view records you added during a specific date range.
- Click the Go button. All of the records listing you in the Entered By field will appear in a table.
- To edit a record, click on the Edit () button in the Actions column.
- To delete a record, click on the Delete () button in the Actions column. (This is permanent, so be careful!)