To create a new dataset, go to Admin > Manage Datasets and click the Add New Dataset button.
1. Select Dataset Type
- Select E-Journals/Databases - r4 from the dataset type dropdown.
- Click the Next >> button to continue.
2. Describe Dataset
- Give your dataset a name.
- Optionally, add a brief description to help explain the purpose of the dataset (up to 255 characters).
- Click on the Next >> button to continue. At this point, your new dataset will be created. The following steps will allow you to configure it.
3. Define Permissions
- Who can define metadata and administer this dataset: this determines who can manage this dataset. By default, all admin users have this permission. However, you can select one or more regular-level users, as well. To select multiple users, press CTRL and click on their names. Each user with this permission will also be able to add and analyze records, as well.
- Who can add records to this dataset: this determines which users can add new records to the dataset. By default, all admin users have this permission. However, you can select one or more regular-level users, as well. To select multiple users, press CTRL and click on their names. This does not automatically give users the ability to analyze records.
- Who can use this dataset in analysis and dashboards: this determines who has the ability to analyze this dataset and use it in dashboards. By default, all admin users have this permission. However, you can select one or more regular-level users, as well. To select multiple users, press CTRL and click on their names.
- Click the Next >> button to continue. You can always edit this dataset later to modify your permissions.
4. Set Up Platforms
In LibInsight, your e-journals and databases are organized by platform. It can be helpful to think of a platform as a website where you can access a set of e-journals, databases, or other resources from a particular vendor. When you upload or import usage data, it will be at the platform level. And while most will find it helpful to place all resources from a single vendor under one platform, each library's collections are different, so take some time to consider how you'd like your usage data to be organized before creating your platforms.
When creating your dataset, you have two options for adding platforms: creating brand new platforms one by one, or importing them from your central platforms list.
Add platforms individually
- Click on the Add New Platform to this Dataset button.
- Under Add New Platform, enter the name of your platform.
- Enter the name of the platform's vendor.
- Optionally, you can add some internal notes, with any special details you think are important.
- Optionally, you can add one or more URLs for this platform. This can include the URL for the public interface, admin interface, stats interface, etc.
- Click on the Add New URL () button to add more URLs for this platform. You can choose to record a username and password with each new URL you add, which is handy for remembering your admin logins!
- Optionally, you can record where the platform was purchased from, such as a regional or consortial package.
- You can also set the default SUSHI credentials to use for this platform. This is convenient because LibInsight will select these credentials by default when you attempt to import usage data. You can add new SUSHI Credentials under Admin > SUSHI Providers.
- Click the Save button.
- Repeat steps 1-8 to add more platforms. When finished, click the Done Editing Dataset button.
Importing platforms from other datasets
You can use the import option copy platforms from your central platforms list.
- Click on the Import platforms button.
- Under the Import from Platforms List tab, select the platforms that you would like import to your new dataset. Click the All checkbox at the top of the table to select/deselect all checkboxes.
- Click the Copy selected platforms into my dataset button at the bottom of the page. A confirmation message will display at the top of the page.
- When done, click the Back to Platforms button.
- If you're finished adding platforms, click the Done Creating Dataset button.