By default, the questions in your tutorial will display in the same order as they're arranged in the slide workpad. However, if you'd like the questions to display in a different order each time a user takes the tutorial, you can randomize them.
- When enabled, basic and multiple-choice fields will be randomized by default. However, you can customize which individual fields should be randomized. If a field is not selected, it will display in the same position as it displays in your tutorial's slide workpad.
- If your standalone tutorial has multiple slides, you have the option to randomize questions across the entire tutorial, or just within the same slide. For example, if you choose to randomize across the tutorial, a question on Slide 3 could appear on Slide 1. But, if you choose to randomize within the same slide, the questions on Slide 3 will remain on that page, but in a randomized order (ditto for the other pages).
- Because embedded tutorials only have one slide, there is not an option to randomize within a slide as there is for standalone tutorials.
- For graded tutorials that display the results on the Thank You screen, users will see their results in the order in which they appeared when they took the tutorial. The same goes for email notifications, as well. However, in your tutorial's report, the questions will appear in the same order as they're arranged in the workpad.
Enable question randomization
- While editing your tutorial, go to the Tutorial Options tab next to the Slide Area.
- Click on the Tutorial/Assessment Options panel to expand it.
- Select the Randomize Tutorial Questions checkbox.
- Choose your preferred Randomization Type. Note: this option is not present for embedded tutorials.
- Randomize across tutorial: questions will be randomized across all slides of your tutorial (e.g. a question on Slide 3 could appear on Slide 1).
- Randomize within slide: if you have multiple slides in your tutorial, questions will remain on the same page but display in a random order (e.g. a question on Slide 3 would not appear on other slides).
- If you would like to include or exclude fields from being randomized, click the Custom Randomization button.
- By default, basic and multiple-choice fields will be included in randomization.
- However, you can add or remove any field, including utility and submitter fields.
- If a field is not included, it will display in the same position as it's arranged in the slide workpad.
- Click the Save Changes button.
Include or exclude fields from being randomized
When question randomization is enabled, you can choose which questions to display in a random order. By default, all basic and multiple-choice fields will be included. However, you can add or remove any field from the workpad.
- With question randomization enabled for your tutorial, click on the Custom Randomization button in the Tutorial/Assessment Options panel.
- In the Custom Randomization window, use the checkboxes next to each field to choose which fields to randomize.
- Checked fields will be randomized.
- Unchecked fields will display in the same position as they appear in your tutorial's slide workpad.
- Click the Save button.