How to share images with all users with the shared Image Manager library
The Image Manager provides you with a central place to upload and store images, which you can then reuse throughout LibApps. For example:
- Images added to Rich Text/HTML content items in LibGuides
- Featured images used in LibCal calendar events
- Images added to LibAnswers FAQs
There are two types of image libraries where you can store images:
- Your personal library contains images that only you can manage and reuse.
- The shared library allows admin users to upload images that all users in your LibApps system can reuse.
Each library can be further organized by folders and keywords, with the ability to both browse and search for images.
The shared Image Manager library allows admin users to upload images that you can all users can reuse throughout LibApps. Although all users can browse, search, and reuse images in the shared library, only admins have the ability to add and delete images and folders.
To upload images to the shared library:
- Go to Content > Image Manager.
- Make sure the Shared Library button is selected.
- Navigate to the folder where you want the image to be stored.
- Or, use the Create New Folder field to add a new folder for your image.
- Click on the Upload New Image button.
- Select the image from your computer to upload it. Supported formats include JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and ICO up to 5MB in size.
Can I upload multiple images at once?
No, you can only upload images one at a time.
Viewing the URL for an image in the Image Manager
To view the URL for to an image:
- Go to Content > Image Manager.
- Select the library that contains the image.
- Click on the View/copy image URL () icon.
- In the View/Copy Image URL window, view or copy the URL. (Note: the image URL will not change even if the image is moved to another folder.)
- Click the Close button.
Adding keywords to your images can help you more easily find images when searching through your folders and libraries. This can be especially helpful when uploading images that don't have descriptive file names.
Adding alternate text to your images is an accessibility best practice. By adding descriptive alternate text to each image, you are providing users of assistive technologies (such as screen readers) a description of the content of the image. With the Image Manager, you can actually add default alternate text to your images.
- Add keywords to an image in the Image Manager
- Add default alternate text to an image in the Image Manager
In the Image Manager, an image's mapping count represents how many times an image is being reused throughout your LibApps system. Currently, this includes images being used in the following locations:
- Gallery box slides
- Rich Text/HTML content items
- Link, Document/File, and Database asset thumbnails
- Discussion board posts
- Blog posts
To help in locating images that have been added to the Image Manager, you can search by the file names and keywords that have been added to an image -- and you can search within a single folder or across all folders in a library.
- Delete an image from the Image Manager
- Moving an image between folders
Note: it is not possible to move images between the Shared Library and a personal library.
Creating folders within the Shared library allows you to better and organize and manage your shared images.